Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What should I play?," "what would you play?," "give me music!"

Quote Originally Posted by mosca View Post
    I actually miss the days of going to various record stores
    I used to love going to the record shops... but I don't miss it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Am I the only one who does not do dance or anything like that I do regular rock and country music?
    Do you beatmatch or just xfade end-to-start?

I've not been too successful at mixing rock and country without resorting to dance remixes. Those two genres aren't rhythmically based; they're harmonically based. As such, keys are as important as beat. Even so, vocals tend to clash.

It's kinda strange because people like to dance to it, but even that can be a challenge. I generally think that if you can two-step it, you can mix it... but haven't been too successful.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Great thread!

I don't understand how someone can say "I've just started DJ'ing, can you give me some good [insert genre] tracks to play"

It actually does my head in!

If you don't know exactly what to play, don't bother, and please don't say 'I've just started DJ'ing'!

I would consider youtube as a source as well.

Apart from that if you like a song you will get suggestions similar to the song you are listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I don't understand how someone can say "I've just started DJ'ing, can you give me some good [insert genre] tracks to play"

It actually does my head in!

If you don't know exactly what to play, don't bother, and please don't say 'I've just started DJ'ing'!
    Yeah, I don't get that one either. I started DJing because I love music and I knew what I wanted to play.

However, I don't mind anybody asking about genres they have just discovered and wanting tips on producers, labels etc. Asking for set lists is whole different story though.