Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Killed by Bottom Feeders

Just starting out, I may have to reconsider my pricing.

This is what I was going to use originally:

WEDDING RECEPTIONS & PARTIES:
    $100 an hour for the first four (4) hours
    $75 an hour for each additional hour after four (4) hours
    $75 setup/teardown fee
    $0.20 mileage charge for events outside of Saint Joseph, MO
    Any additional accrued costs (Lodging, meals, etc.)
    Minimum charge of $475.00

CORPORATE EVENTS:
    $150 an hour for the first four (4) hours
    $100 an hour for each additional hour after four (4) hours
    $75 setup/teardown fee
    Minimum charge of $675.00

SCHOOL/YOUTH EVENTS:
    $50 an hour for the first four (4) hours
    $40 an hour for each additional hour after four (4) hours
    NO setup/teardown fee
    $0.15 mileage charge for events outside of Saint Joseph, MO
    Minimum charge of $300

Am I going too high for a new gun?
    I didn't think so until I read up on the bottom feeders on this forum and others.

One company my wife called said they would do a 5 hour reception for $375.
    Then he went on to tell her they had been in business for just a year and had DJ'ed over 2,000 receptions.
    That's 5.5 receptions a day for those not doing the math. I think I smell bullshit......
    WillieB69

Quote Originally Posted by WillieB69 View Post
    Just starting out, I may have to reconsider my pricing.

This is what I was going to use originally:

WEDDING RECEPTIONS & PARTIES:
    $100 an hour for the first four (4) hours
    $75 an hour for each additional hour after four (4) hours
    $75 setup/teardown fee
    Minimum charge of $475.00

CORPORATE EVENTS:
    $150 an hour for the first four (4) hours
    $100 an hour for each additional hour after four (4) hours
    $75 setup/teardown fee
    Minimum charge of $675.00

SCHOOL/YOUTH EVENTS:
    $50 an hour for the first four (4) hours
    $40 an hour for each additional hour after four (4) hours
    NO setup/teardown fee
    $0.15 mileage charge for events outside of Saint Joseph, MO
    Minimum charge of $300

Am I going too high for a new gun?
    I didn't think so until I read up on the bottom feeders on this forum and others.

One company my wife called said they would do a 5 hour reception for $375.
    Then he went on to tell her they had been in business for just a year and had DJ'ed over 2,000 receptions.
    That's 5.5 receptions a day for those not doing the math. I think I smell bullshit......
    Why are you charging more for Corporate events than Weddings? If anything I would think it would be the other way around...

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    Why are you charging more for Corporate events than Weddings? If anything I would think it would be the other way around...
    Because corporations have more money than the brides and grooms that work for said corporations.
    WillieB69

What do you guys think I should charge. I'm 17 and I horridly underprice myself to kids around my school, but only because I feel like they don't have real money to pay for a full profession DJ. The most I've ever charged was 45/ hour for everything and I use jbl prx speakers, NS7, chauvet lasers, the whole thing. But I feel like if I raise my prices people won't hire me so what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Djjohnnybertone View Post
    What do you guys think I should charge. I'm 17 and I horridly underprice myself to kids around my school, but only because I feel like they don't have real money to pay for a full profession DJ. The most I've ever charged was 45/ hour for everything and I use jbl prx speakers, NS7, chauvet lasers, the whole thing. But I feel like if I raise my prices people won't hire me so what should I do?
    The first thing you need to do is find out what other DJ's in your area are charging. Most especially, comparable DJ's to yourself. Those who have comparable experience & equipment. From there, you can choose how to price yourself.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    The first thing you need to do is find out what other DJ's in your area are charging. Most especially, comparable DJ's to yourself. Those who have comparable experience & equipment. From there, you can choose how to price yourself.
    Honestly, and I don't want to sound cocky, there are a few other kids in my
    School that "DJ" (because its the cool thing to do) and they're nowhere near as good as me. But they all do it for free for their friends which is understandable that its free so who cares but it's just annoying that their mom bought them a mixtrack and they get more parties than me

of course they will get more parites if they are doing them for free, you might have to do some of those type of parties for little to nothing to get your name out there if thats what youre going for

I just had a "new" school contact me for a 200-300 kid highschool dance. They budgeted $300-$400 for it they told me. Any bottom feeders want it? I politely explained a couple things to them like that I have to pay taxes on that money, I always have at least one helper that I have to pay, and not to mention travel time, fuel, etc... Even if I only brought out a small set up "a couple tops and a couple subs, and a couple lights", the school is not in the best area and I would almost want one person just to watch over everything when I load and unload, shit, maybe even just guard the truck/trailer during the event, ha ha, no I am serious.

Not to mention they want the photobooth as well. They will get someone to do it with terrible equipment, and the kids will be unhappy with the whole thing.

Ah well, can't win them all.

Adam

I guess so. I just have my dad up my ass trying to tell me how much to charge so I can't do too many for
    Free

Quote Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
    I just had a "new" school contact me for a 200-300 kid highschool dance. They budgeted $300-$400 for it they told me. Any bottom feeders want it? I politely explained a couple things to them like that I have to pay taxes on that money, I always have at least one helper that I have to pay, and not to mention travel time, fuel, etc... Even if I only brought out a small set up "a couple tops and a couple subs, and a couple lights", the school is not in the best area and I would almost want one person just to watch over everything when I load and unload, shit, maybe even just guard the truck/trailer during the event, ha ha, no I am serious.

Not to mention they want the photobooth as well. They will get someone to do it with terrible equipment, and the kids will be unhappy with the whole thing.

Ah well, can't win them all.

Adam

Good for you
    Last edited by Dix; 02-22-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php