Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Killed by Bottom Feeders

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Que Yi View Post
    Yeah man it's a hard knock life. I'm sure none of us are immune to the undercut! You handled it well. The only thing I think you could of done or better yet what I would have done was to again pitch myself and reiterate the features and benefits of my services.
    This^^^.

I have a 30s - 1 min spiel highlighting my services and what makes my business unique. And this is without mentioning a competitor or anything negative.
    www.823entertainment.com
    Your Celebration....Your Way

$200 for 5 hours? Sounds like the Numark Mixtrackers (or some controller homeboy) or the free Virtual Dj download laptop guys struck again.
    You'll get the next one, like others said--pimp out your equipment and your MC background.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

$200 is probably the cheapest I would ever go for a mobile gig in general. It's a nonprofit event, so dragging two powered speakers and my decks/mixer out for 5 hours for $200 isn't that bad for me. I already my equipment out multiple times per week, so I would personally take the gig at that price (no lights or anything).

Sorry to hear that, man. I am pretty sure we got undercut and lost a venue to a former employee who went solo. I wasn't happy about it, but then again there's nothing I can do except find another venue. Good luck.

If it makes you feel any better, I had planned to raise my prices this year from $100 per hour with a three hour minimum for basic services to $400 for the first three & $125 for every hour after for basic services. I have had between 20 - 30 calls since Jan 1 & not one has booked. I have decided not to increase my prices this year. So, I have lost a lot of gigs to lower prices the last two months.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I had planned to raise my prices this year from $100 per hour with a three hour minimum for basic services to $400 for the first three & $125 for every hour after for basic services. I have had between 20 - 30 calls since Jan 1 & not one has booked. I have decided not to increase my prices this year. So, I have lost a lot of gigs to lower prices the last two months.
    I have kept my prices the same this year because of this. There were twice as many DJ's in my local bridal Show as last year, 2 of them just started up and were going the "beat any body's price" route. I am at $100/hr for parties, $125/hr for weddings but I raised my minimums to 3 & 4 hours. I will do a small birthday party for $300 (3 hrs) and a small wedding for $500 (4 hrs) but I will price more if they need a separate ceremony setup, and $125 per hour outside of 4 hours.

This is middle pricing for my area. My biggest competitor is $150 per hour and he has 3 DJ's on staff.... the bottom feeders are doing 5 hr weddings for $200.

Thanks for the response guys,
    "DJZrule": yes we were scheduled to meet and sign a contract the next day. I always do contracts unless it's a close friend.
    "defiance": I was going to charge them $400 and do the extra hour at no cost plus threw in uplighting as a bonus because it was for a benefit (the hall is only 10 minutes from my house) They were happy with the price and that I came recommended from another committee member.

Also, in talking with her she explained it was a "Fiesta" theme for Cinco De Mayo and wanted to know if I could give her some ideas and a playlist of music to suit the event. Glad I had not send that to her yet.

the bottom feeders are doing 5 hr weddings for $200.
    I would rather rent a sound system a plug in an ipod if I was going to 200$ route. I can only imagine the quality your getting for a 200$ 5 hour wedding..

This whole thread just makes me sick. Im lucky that in Central NJ there are still clients who dont mind spending the extra money for top notch service. Im more of a club/bar DJ but still do a few mobile parties a month. They are never less than 400-500 for DJ/MC basic lighting.
    http://soundcloud.com/real-dj-remax

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    Same here. After two months of less bookings I went back to last years prices.....

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Remax View Post
    I would rather rent a sound system a plug in an ipod if I was going to 200$ route. I can only imagine the quality your getting for a 200$ 5 hour wedding..

This whole thread just makes me sick. Im lucky that in Central NJ there are still clients who dont mind spending the extra money for top notch service. Im more of a club/bar DJ but still do a few mobile parties a month. They are never less than 400-500 for DJ/MC basic lighting.
    A 5 hour wedding reception for 200 bucks. Really? I'd believe it if it were booked in someone's backyard, in a barn or the rec room at a church.
    Also I'd show up in jeans and a t shirt. At that price you really can't expect much---maybe the guy plays House music on his thumb drive and thats all you get.
    200 bucks, thats ridiculous.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller