Thread: Trouble Monitoring/Hearing while in the Club

Trouble Monitoring/Hearing while in the Club

Hey everyone so I had my first real gig. It went pretty good, from what people told me. THANKS DJFORUMS!

My consistent problem though is hearing while in the club and monitoring....
    Yesterday the club's split cue was broken, you could only hear from the headphones when both PFL's were activated.
    Which kind of confused me. But regardless of that being able to hear while in the club for beatmatching and levels and whatnot is really hard.

For the record my hearing's not the greatest, over the last three weeks I've been told three times to speak quieter at work, since I can't tell I'm speaking so loud.

I have gone for a hearing test last year because I suspected below average hearing but they said I had perfect hearing. And then before I also had gone for a hearing test a few years back and again perfect hearing.

I have tried a generic orange foam earplug but then I just compensate by turning it up again....I'm really scared for my hearing. Is there a compromise between accurate monitoring and saving your hearing?
    http://www.mixcloud.com/karaSel/

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Fidelit...cert+ear+plugs

If your heaphones will allow you to wear these... Otherwise look into custom molds, but those will be 100-200$ Your most likely experiencing temporary loss of hearing. Happens to all of us when we spend hours and hours exposed to loud sound.
    Traktor SP2 | Audio 10 DJ | DJM 800 Rotary | Kontrol S4 | 1200 M3D's | Shure M44G's | NI Kontrol X1 | KRK RP8's | Yamaha HS80M | Ableton Live 8 | M-Audio FW 410 | Akai MPK 61 | NI Maschine MKI

I always mix as much as I can directly through the headphones, keep the monitors really low, and if the venue is excessively loud I'll just keep my headphones on as much as possible. The HDJ 2000s block out a good deal of noise.

yeah its all about a balance between what you need to be able to mix. I agree keep monitors low if you can mix in headphones. It took me a long time to be able to mix internally with just headphones as I learned with the one ear off technique...I would say try to setup things up at home the way you want them to be in the club and repeat during your show...

Do be cautious of your hearing...you need it...

So many people overlook hearing protection! I agree with a previous poster... keep your headphones on as much as possible. I have the same headphones and they really do a great job of noise isolation. A friend of mine always cranks up the volume in the headphones when we mix back to back and i tell him there's no reason to. Save those ears!