Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Count Electrifique's n00b DJ diary

Hans, thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Sigma, well, it looks like I am just not a big fan of drastic slams I guess I can set gain in a similar way on a controller too. I just set it too low sometimes, I think, as my lights are always in the green zone.

No worries! I just had a quick look for you and found this:

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/09...tings-for-djs/

I try to make sure that when the track is playing at its loudest point and the fader for the channel is fully up, that the meter is just hitting the orange.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CountElectrfique View Post
    I guess I can set gain in a similar way on a controller too. I just set it too low sometimes, I think, as my lights are always in the green zone.
    Right, that'll be your problem then man.

If you aim for the orange light, that's usually good enough. You have to still use your ears of course, because the perceived volume of one song might be a little louder/quieter than the other sometimes, even though they're both peaking at the orange light, but using that light as your target will give you more consistent track-to-track levels.

This thread I started might help you: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...ow-to-use-them

Thanks for the links, guys! I gave em a read, looks like I really shouldn't be afraid to get out of green a bit. I'll try to get the gains right next time!

Reporting in. Whole week I've been trying to come up with a mix, but was always ending up either failing mesarably somewhere in the process or being completely unsatisfied with the result. So, no new uploads yet.
    What I've faced is that I suffer from my music collection not being vast enough. I mean, it is pretty big, but not in terms of DJing. I try to stay in key while mixing and have some progression during my mix and I often see that I cannot find track that fits, is in key, has similar BPM and has fitting genre. I am buying what I like and I snatch cool free tracks from Soundcloud, but sometimes I have to use tracks by the same artist too soon and that strikes me as a bad thing.

https://soundcloud.com/count-electri...the-wrong-kind
    Well, I've decided to upload my last mix whatever it will be. It turned out to be weird. In some parts I even somewhat like it myself, but there are several realy really awful mistakes. In general, I find this mix bad with some passable moments. What I hear myself:
    9:30 - Awful off-timed slam. And shortly afterwards...
    9:48 - Accidently jumped to the wrong cue point. Tried to hide it quickly though, and even returned to the right cue point afterwards.
    15:31 - Me being slow with crossfader
    17:34 - Another badly timed slam. Also, played one drop more in this track than I intended, because I was slow at beatmatching.

What mistakes did you hear, mates?

Being new myself, I really have nothing productive to add but wanted you to know I've been following your progress.
    Keep it up!
    WillieB69

Thank you! DJF and its community actually inspires me to keep on practicing. Just for the sake of being part of it.

So, I tried to mix with 4 decks today. Here is what it turned into: https://soundcloud.com/count-electri...not-even-close
    Basically, all I used was EQ, delay and reverb. Mostly EQ. I am not sure what are my mistakes. I hear some EQing errors, if someone could point 'em out I'd really appreciate that.

UPD: no electro/dubstep this time. Tech house is core of this little practice mix
    Last edited by CountElectrfique; 02-20-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Well, I haven't posted anything lately because I experienced a HDD failure. I lost a lot of data, including most part of my music collection and Traktor library. I am working on recovering whatever left and refilling my collection. Hope I will be able to do some mixing soon.