Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice fellas.

Need some advice fellas.

Ok fellas. I'm new to all of this I bought a small system just for a new years party. I have 4 beringer b215d's and a beringer mixer,my lap top with virtual dj and a few cheap lights and strobe lights . I know it's not the greatest equipment. But this is what's going on for now. My son loves to listen to music I think he has a real passion for it. So he asked me if he could use it to start dj'ing. So I said yes he has found his first gig at the elementary school where he went. My son is 12 years old so I said he could do it and I would help him not that I know much but I took off of work from offshore just to help him out. I talked to him and explained that I did not wanting him to anything big like weddings etc. . I mean he's just a kid come on. But I told him what ever he makes he can have half and the other half he has to start him a savings account. I know some people will have negative things to say about this. So please keep the comments to yourself if you have nothing to nice to say. I'm doing this for my kid and that's it. He told them he would do it for $175 for three hours they told him they usually pay around 250 for three hours. But him being new he said he didn't want to over charge anyone. So hit me some advice or ideas that might help him out thanks

I'm a little confused as to what you are actually asking.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

I think it's insane that a 12 year old will get $175 for three hours of work. Good luck to him though. The problem with DJing at such a young age is the lack of experience with music. When I was that age I didn't even listen to music, let alone have a taste for multiple genres and be able to pick music on the fly. I would advise that song selection is probably the biggest factor for mobile DJing, so I'd make sure he's got a great list of songs to play.

Thanks jack that's what I've been working on and that's the pay that they offered him. He also has a buddy of mine that said he would pay him for his daughters graduation party. @djnr i I was just asking for any advice that could help him out and it's a school dance for 8 and 9 year olds so they are not going to be real picky I'm sure. But him and I are working together on the music that the kids will enjoy and teachers and parents will think is appropriate. Now days it's a trick to just that for kids of that age group

Oh and we have been useing groove shark with the virtual dj software . Is that a good idea because he can take request and play songs that I don't have already have.

I wish I was earning that much for three hours?

From grooveshark? does that mean you're not paying for your music?

I honestly use youtube to take requests. I don't DJ with a laptop, so I've pulled songs up on my phone. It's a little harder because sometimes you have to sift through a few videos to find the right one in HQ. I have used my android to stream off of youtube at open format bars/parties before though. I make sure I have a second track cue'd in case the connection cuts out.

Never thought about using YouTube and groove shark you pay a monthly subscription of $10 to stream music . I'm not stealing music give me some credit lol

sounds like a good plan...HOWEVER!!! don't start upgrading his system YET! Why? Because he's 12. Its an age where your mind doesn't focus,
    unless you are like a gymnast, swimmer, baseball, hockey, musician and real serious about it, at that age I did Pop Warner football for 2 seasons and quit,
    Boy Scouts-quit, piano-quit, etc. Good luck
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

Hmmm, I didn't know you could do that. My mistake. Youtube for requests though, I'd never do that. If I don't have it I dont have it