Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive House ?

Quote Originally Posted by rain91 View Post
    thanks for the clarification hygro, sorry for some of my way of classifying the other genres, just my of-the-moment thought, and most of the trance i listen to relaxes me drug free =P.

but yea, pretty much the reason i made this thread is because i was skeptical on what it is. when i browse the internet i see people either say "no such thing as progressive house" or "thats not progressive house" and things of the like, pretty much always made me think what is it exactly
    Word, and no your descriptions were actually better for the layman which I didn't acknowledge. They were just too subjective for me.

And yeah, trance relaxes me too ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    Progressive House used to be pretty much interchangeable with Trance (in the early 90s). The term caught on again a decade later when Trance producers and DJs became embarrassed by the Trance label (Sasha, Digweed, et al). Then, it sort of became it's own genre. Basically slower Trance which, oddly enough, doesn't really have a progression during the track. Or, at least, less progressiveness than the typical Trance track at the time. This was the late 90s. It's sort of gone many different ways since than, initially incorporating electro elements, before Electro House existed as a genre (mid-2000s). Now, it's all a wash. So many different subgenres intermix that it's sometimes hard to differentiate. At this point Progressive House means different things to different people. But basically: it's Trance with House BPM.
    Yep. I decided not to post that story so I'm really glad you did. Also, you explain these things better than I do And sometimes because you were actually, you know, there.

Lol right on chris, when i look for prog house i end up having to go to the 'trance' section (if i'm on beatport). the entire prog house chart pretty much belongs on the electro house chart. i feel like if i want prog house i have to search for prog trance, and that'll get me close enough

Honestly, I feel like a lot of this genre naming stuff comes down to splitting hairs. Sure there are your main genres: house and breaks. As far as I'm concerned, every style of dance music falls into one of these two categories.

In the beginning, there was house and the evolution went something kinda like:
    House--->Prog House ---> Trance ---> A million sub genres of Trance

Then

House --->A million sub genres of house --->Electro house

After that, the final two stages became merged. Some are more electro than progressive and visa versa. As we have seen a lot lately, they can make anything go together. Doesn't mean they should though. Take a look at Justin Bieber and dubstep for example.

Progressive house has definitely changed its meaning over the years. When I got into it it was sometimes trancey house, or sometimes just house that was more spacy and atmospheric than, say, funky house, or not quite as jazzy as deep house. Think of what Nick Warren, Sasha, etc were playing in the early 2000s, that was my introduction. Now it seems interchangeable with electro-bigroom-EDM-pop-house or just slightly less mangled electro-house or whatever you wanna call it.

Early stuff from Nick Warren Sasha and similar artists were always my definition of progressive house ...

Good stuff

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    "Got Dusty Fingers From Diggin In The Crates"

Member Since 2005 B.C (Mayan Calendar)

https://soundcloud.com/donveeeee/paradise

^^ my very short progressive house track. well, its my style of progressive house

I also think of progressive house as being trance at a house bpm. Not the shit that beatport classifies it as. Audiojelly.com has a much better grasp on the genre so if you want to hear what the Trancey prog house sounds like then you should go there and listen to the songs there.

As with all house, there's a million sub genres, but broadly speaking I think of prog house as bein trance at a slower bpm and with a more chilled out vibe generally.

Searching for true progressive house tunes on Beatport is a mission. And to keep my music organized, I ended up changing the genre name to Epic House, for that reason.

What I would label as Epic House :

Definitely has elements of Electro house, but the sound is too big and needed to be grouped separately.

Progressive House:

What I consider Electro House:

I find that the genre of "progressive house" has become so open nowadays. Whereas it used to sound fairly thin in texture and progress throughout the sound (hence the name) but now so many artists that i definitely not consider as progressive house artists are labeling some of their songs "progressive house".
    But the words mean so many different things to different people.

For example i would consider things like this as progressive house

but i've seen people like Hardwell and even Nicky Romero being branded as "progressive house" and i see both of those as electro house artists, not progressive at all
    Please take a look at (and feel free to follow) my soundcloud
    http://soundcloud.com/alexreeduk
    And PLEASE like my facebook page, would mean a lot!

See, Rek and alexreed. Neither of that I would consider progressive house. Too cheesy and trancey. To the point, they would go straight into my cheesy trance folder, if they weren't just deleted because I would never play them.

Now, to me progressive house sounds like this:

or this :

And in fact, I would be wanting an instrumental of the Tilt track too, lol.

I am so disappointed that the progressive house tag I have used for the last 15 years or so has been ruined with such cheese being associated with it. I mean, that all sounds like trance to me.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...
    Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: 22-06-2013