Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Stanton PSRM19US for SA-8 - Dual 15VAC and 12VAC Power Supply

WTB Stanton PSRM19US for SA-8 - Dual 15VAC and 12VAC Power Supply

I have been looking everywhere and I called Stanton, but I can't find the PSRM19US power supply ANYWHERE for this SA-8 mixer I just picked up. Here's an image of one I found online:

It uses a 5 pin DIN connector into the mixer, like a MIDI cable.

I have been doing a bunch of research and learned a lot about center tapped transformers. It seems that there must be a bridge rectifier inside the mixer itself which turns the 15-0-15VAC current into 20VDC, or ±10V, depending on the setup. I was thinking I could possibly bypass the bridge rectifier and run straight DC into the unit but I'm not sure how many different voltage rails there are inside. Obviously the easiest thing to do would be to 1) find the original PSU model or 2) wire up an equivalent power source. I'm not afraid of a little DIY, I just don't want to ruin these analog components in case I'm in over my head.

Any info would be great. Thanks people!

I searched everywhere I knew & I couldn't find one available either. Good luck
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I'm on a lead for creating a replacement PSU for this mixer. It would actually be relatively inexpensive, compared to the prices that a lot of mixer PSU's go for. I'm not sure if I'm going to mount it inside the mixer enclosure itself or do a breakout box like the OEM unit. I'm probably going to use a 15+15V toroidal transformer which is very quiet and (POSSIBLY) a small 12V regular transformer (might just use a wall wart I already have for this). The reason I say "possibly" is because the mixer might not actually use the 12VAC rails...we'll have to see. I'm receiving the mixer sometime in the next day or two, and will be popping the hood and posting up my findings.

Worse comes to worst, I will be gutting the whole mixer and wire up an Arduino based microcontroller (like the Teensy++ 2.0) to all the pots and faders and LED bars, and install an Audio 4 DJ interface to the RCA ins and outs. As cool as that would be to have maybe one of the only FULL MIDI scratch mixers, I like the idea of being able to spin a set only on real vinyl, even if that is just a pipe dream.

At this point I'm convinced that the PSU outputs rectified, regulated split DC current, despite saying otherwise on the mixer specs. This is because a ±15V split power supply is actually very common in higher end audio gear such as headphone amplifiers and preamps. It's also seems like a pretty simple thing to whip together, with or without a kit. There are also some off the shelf units that could be rewired with a 5 pin DIN connector.

Here is a kit for a regulated, split ±15V 500mA power supply:

http://www.marchandelec.com/ps10.html
    http://www.marchandelec.com/ftp/ps10man.pdf

Here is another one that someone put together:

http://circuit-zone.com/?electronic_project=105

This is all looking very promising...

Check your PM and email.

Thanks Knowledge!

Mods: Where's my post with the pictures and links to building your own ±15V PSU?

Called Stanton again, had to leave a message. Will get confirmation of rectification and regulation shortly. If it's not rectified/regulated it will be an easy thing to make, but again, I suspect it probably is not just a transformer in a box.
    soundcloud.com/murderline
    Formerly Freako Suave.

Popped the hood on the mixer, immediately saw two ICs screwed into the chassis (for heat sink purposes). 7812 and 7912, two standard 15V regulators. This will be a cinch.
    Formerly Freako Suave.

Angry Need the same model power supply for Stanton SMX-501

Quote Originally Posted by murderline View Post
    Popped the hood on the mixer, immediately saw two ICs screwed into the chassis (for heat sink purposes). 7812 and 7912, two standard 15V regulators. This will be a cinch.
    Yo murder- need the same power supply model for SMX-501 if you get this to work and think it would work on this make another and throw it on ebay asap. Thanks

Update time: waited a month for it to come in, but you CAN order this PSU through a dealer. Picked it up at Guitar Center yesterday, been scratching and mixing up a storm. I learned a lot about PSU design and I definitely think you can put one together for this mixer, but since you can order it for about $45 including tax and to-store shipping at Guitar Center, it's not worth the risk.

If anyone is out of the country and can't get the PSU on special order, PM me and I can hook you up. *fistbump*
    Formerly Freako Suave.