Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of the BFM Thread

You can save a lot of time if you do all the measurements & cut outs for one but not assemble it but instead use it as a template for the rest of your subs. I did this with my Tuba 30s & that dramatically cut down on my build time to just around 3-4 hours an evening for 3 evenings (make all cuts one evening, assemble the next then tape & paint on the last) for a pair of complete painted & ready to use cabinets.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Hopefully starting on my subs this week after putting them off for a year lol. built the otop 12s and love them. only problem i'm having now is i have 2 bp102s and cant decide on which build to do.

i have the plans for both the tuba 24 and titan 39. kinda leaning towards the 24s for right now as i want to eventually have 4 t39s with the premium drivers. seems like it would be a waste to build the t39s with b102s only to have to build 4 more.

plus i could always use the t24s for smaller gigs or renting out.

Go with premium drivers, one cab loaded with a lab 12 is the equivelent to 3 with bp102s... premium is better for performance and your wallet
    I won't deal with "bargain shoppers." If a customer calls me and thinks he/she can whittle down my price because DJ RectalSquirt is offering to DJ for $100 for the night, then he/she and DJ RectalSquirt probably deserve one another. -Badger

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Higgumz View Post
    Go with premium drivers, one cab loaded with a lab 12 is the equivelent to 3 with bp102s... premium is better for performance and your wallet
    yea that's what i was thinking. i bought the bp102s when i didnt have much money a yr ago, thinking about selling them. only problem is i need some subs by june 8th for a wedding i have booked. so i'm teetertottering between using the bp102s in some t24s to get me through this wedding and buying the premium drivers and taking my time building the t39s.

just keep them. if it was a high school prom with lots of hip hop i would be worried
    I won't deal with "bargain shoppers." If a customer calls me and thinks he/she can whittle down my price because DJ RectalSquirt is offering to DJ for $100 for the night, then he/she and DJ RectalSquirt probably deserve one another. -Badger

Along same lines.. making a decision on bfm subs.. T60 is the choice, leaning toward dual 12s in a 30wide rather than a single 15 in a 27. A couple more hundred investment but seems per SPL charts its well worth the 5db increase in SPL.

Interesting though that the Titan 48 above 35hz or so outperforms a single 15" T60 at 30 wide. Thus if response below 30-35 isnt a big deal, and many times for us it really isnt, the Titan is a somewhat more economical build and less obtrusive in required floorspace.

Still I believe the dual Lab12 T60 is the way to go.

Just sharing some thoughts and my decision process here at the end of my long road of debating what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by P25CT View Post

Interesting though that the Titan 48 above 35hz or so outperforms a single 15" T60 at 30 wide. Thus if response below 30-35 isnt a big deal, and many times for us it really isnt, the Titan is a somewhat more economical build and less obtrusive in required floorspace.
    +1. I didn't add the T60 to the line because average DJs really need to have a cab that goes as low as it does, I did so because some of them think that they do. For most users T30, T39 or T45 are all they actually need.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

It's not a matter of if you need it, you want it, and it sure is nice to have it

For anyone thats used or heard both bfm tubas and yorky 801p's which model is comparable to the 801p for output and for a 60 or titan 49 how would you compare the two (2 801s for one 60)? Looked at spl numbers but you know how that can be deceiving... I recently heard a pair of yorky 801s and I gotta say if its got more on those then that would be somethin... Was planning two 60s in lieu of 4 801Ps. 3200 for a pair of 60s built plus another say 1000 for good reliable (qsc plx or rmx) amp for 4200 total vs 4400 for 4 yorkies powered.. My guess it would be close if not about the same.. of course the T60 will outperform 30-45 a given but that to me is moot and not a factor. Price breaker would be DIY on the 60s or 49s, however Im no Norm Abrams (most of you too young to know who that good man is). Good lord thats scary. Anyway..your feedback as always is worth its weight in gold... so thanks again in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by P25CT View Post
    Im no Norm Abrams (most of you too young to know who that good man is). Good lord thats scary.
    I think the real tell tale on being old, would be remembering Bob Vila. I looked it up and I didn't remember Norm being there from the beginning but I guess he was. But Norm is still with the series whereas Bob Vila was around for 10 years, also from the beginning. I used to love watching that show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.