Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of the BFM Thread

You'd need to find someone with a cnc router, very few mills have enough travel. Many shops don't like dealing with wood - chips soak up to much oil/water and clog everything and cutting dry gets dust everywhere.

Tooling is defined per machine, and is called out in the programs g-code. Same with work offsets. Programming is 2d is pretty easy to do without software/post processing.

People do it, Hell people DIY cnc routers. Neither is cheap. Checkout cnczone.com

I personally have a a haas vf4 at my disposal at work, but I wouldn't dare ask to cut sheet on it.

Also:

Leland over at speakerhardware.com sells flatpacks/kits.

Already been done

I'm not familiar with CNC routers, but they should have a tool changer correct? For our mills if we have to mill fibrous materials or wood, we mount a vaccuum hose to the spindle, and it sucks up most of the chips.
    Last edited by DJ Higgumz; 01-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    I won't deal with "bargain shoppers." If a customer calls me and thinks he/she can whittle down my price because DJ RectalSquirt is offering to DJ for $100 for the night, then he/she and DJ RectalSquirt probably deserve one another. -Badger

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Higgumz View Post
    I'm not familiar with CNC routers, but they should have a tool changer correct? For our mills if we have to mill fibrous materials or wood, we mount a vaccuum hose to the spindle, and it sucks up most of the chips.
    None I've seen have a toolchanger setup. Most DIY's use a regular router motor with a VFD.

Vacs are terrible, unless its a micron filter. Filter size also determines what size particles are allowed to pass. Smaller particles do more damage to the respiratory system. I once worked in composite tooling: Lots of renboard and fiberglass floating around. Cyclone vac OUTSIDE.

TIL: Mastercam has settings for routers.

....but still no undo button

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    Also:

Leland over at speakerhardware.com sells flatpacks/kits.

Already been done
    Man I had completely forgotten about this forum. Thanks for thinking about me Monomer.
    My stuff is not cnc, but considering I have close to 10k in tablesaws, my accuracy is pretty damn good. There are some of the cabs I just won't do flatpacks for. The expectation for a flatpack is lego simplicity. And you just can't do that without a cnc, and pretty much a redesign.

Tool changer CNC's get pricey REALLY quick. I've been checking them out for several years, off and on. One of these days.
    All things DIY.
    www.speakerhardware.com

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    Aren't you the same guy whose dad put 1w through some high sensitivity speakers illustrating how wattage is highly overrated?
    Actually, I think that was me. I do recall telling about Dad's 1W experiment. No one could stand in the living room, and the audio was clear at the mailbox, which was a full football field away.

That said, I'm loving some of these BFM speakers. Seriously considering going with the PA version of the TLAH. Not sure yet. Got to price some components.

I had my tuba 24s for 2 years now! I couldn't be more happy with them as of NOW! Especially since I'm using the crossover feature on my QSC GX3.

Can someone give me an idea of raw materials cost and time for an average person with average ability to complete a Tuba60 with dual 12s?

Quote Originally Posted by P25CT View Post
    Can someone give me an idea of raw materials cost and time for an average person with average ability to complete a Tuba60 with dual 12s?
    Estimated cost is within the product page and the plans. Minimum cost for a 2x12" Tuba 60 is around $400 per speaker, and being a horn sub, it's recommended you build them and use them in pairs of 2. You'll get a ton more output, and a flatter frequency response but coupling or v-plating them (explained throughout the plans and Bill's own forum).

It took me a week for a pair working 4-6 hours a day. X that by 2-3. I'm a fast woodworker. I built an autotuba in a day also fyi t60s don't get vplated, the already long horn path makes it not a significant difference to make the use of space efficient
    I won't deal with "bargain shoppers." If a customer calls me and thinks he/she can whittle down my price because DJ RectalSquirt is offering to DJ for $100 for the night, then he/she and DJ RectalSquirt probably deserve one another. -Badger