Thread: Transitioning from fast, to slow, to back again.

Transitioning from fast, to slow, to back again.

I was in the process of making the next episode for my podcast and I decided to challenge myself by recording tracks that weren't my typical 128 BPM. In doing this, I ran into two tracks, one 70, and one 110. I managed to transition those just fine, however I am having problems going from the 110 track back to 128 again.

Which brings me to my question: What do you guys do to transition from a fast track, to a slow track, and back up to a fast track again?
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

- use a tempo tool
    - echo out of the live track and fade up the slower/faster track. if you don't have software, you can also echo scratch[fades] the track out and play the next track. both require quick hands.

- use the transition break to get on the mic and hype the crowd up.
    - if the slower track is close to half tempo of the live track, you can mix the slower track in. same goes for a faster track from slower if it is close to or double the tempo. this takes practice on your part.
    - if you're using software/dvs, you could always pitch the track with it key locked, or not.

other than that, experiment with the music you have on hand. best to do in the bedroom instead of trying to work some new thing out live.
    Last edited by Jason Cerna; 02-21-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    jasoncerna.com | boogieburg | twitter @jasoncerna | instagram @jasoncerna

For me if I ever jump bpms that far apart its usually just by a straight cut at the right moment...

I do this a few different ways that I have found worked as long as you hit it at the right moment

1-I might add some scratching on the incoming track then slam it over

2-loop the slower track at 1 or 2 beats to try and make it seem faster then slam in the next

3- I usually try to cut at the vocals rather then the beat makes the transition seem smoother
    http://www.mixcrate.com/djflomatic
    http://soundcloud.com/djflomatic
    www.twitter.com/djflomatic

Not every transition is meant to be beat mixed.

just plunk it in there, fastforward to the drop and bump it in on a breakdown(and slowly down your upfader). This is assuming you got a beatless break down. If there is a beat you can just crossfade it in, I personally like beatmatching nearly everything I do so when it comes to a 80 or 90 bpm track transitioned up to a 120-130 or so. I will use the CDJ multi function REC tool that allows my BPM to go OH SO LOW and transition the last 64 beats and once the transition is complete I will slowly upfade to the proper bpm, this is track selective for it to sound good. Idealy I use something with a repeatative lyric(female is nice). If its the other way around I would just crossfade drop or back spin drop and make sure the drop is an interesting part of the track.

^^ I like the method you listed there, but if you keep your fast track slowed down to 80-90 for too long it tends to sound muddy and unfocused. IMO that trick works best to get everything beatmatched, but then you want to bump the tempo back to relatively normal levels fairly quickly (say within 16 beats)

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    Not every transition is meant to be beat mixed.
    ^^^^^^^^
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON

Quote Originally Posted by LALaw View Post
    ^^ I like the method you listed there, but if you keep your fast track slowed down to 80-90 for too long it tends to sound muddy and unfocused. IMO that trick works best to get everything beatmatched, but then you want to bump the tempo back to relatively normal levels fairly quickly (say within 16 beats)
    16 or so beats, precisely.