Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 99% of DJ's are hypocrites

99% of DJ's are hypocrites

I got neg repped for my comments on TPB, and people assume I use it for my music sources but I don't. I hear a lot of people talking about piracy is bad but yet don't have a problem with recording a mix and uploading it to websites without a license to do it.

I personally do not care if a DJ is going to pay or not for music, but why do the majority of you guys have a problem with people that don't?

Downloading music from the likes of TPB is illegal. There is no money going to the artist that created the music.

Recording a mix, however, and uploading it is a grey area. Essentially it is little different from playing out in a club. Presumably the Soundclouds and Mixclouds where you would upload your mixes to, either pay royalties to record labels, or have a deal whereby linking the tracks to iTunes / Beatport is considered advertising for the labels, and as such, considered "payment". Thus the record labels / artists get their "cut" whether in advertising or royalties. And with the fact that the tracks being played were already paid for by the uploader. Labels or artists do have the right to request any mix be taken down though, as has been happening a lot on Soundcloud recently.

I assume it is similar to when you play in a club or bar or whatever. It is not the DJ who needs the license to play the music (in general), rather the venue needs the license.

In short, DL-ing music from torrent sites is illegal as their is no gain for the artist, uploading a mix is considered advertising and as such, has some worth to the artist, however they can request it be taken down if the desire.
    Last edited by xs2man; 01-24-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...
    Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: 22-06-2013

But some people use their own website to let people download from, do they pay a royalty for every time the mix is downloaded? I just don't see the point in having a double standard for licenses(need license to own, but not to distribute online)

A mix does not generally contain a full version of a song. The start and end of each track are blends. In theory someone could cut out the unmixed part of a song to use in a dj set however that is obviously not ideal. Also most mixes are recorded at a lower bitrate than 320.

Artists often release their dj mixes as it is a form of self promotion, and many producers recognise that this is an effective way to get their music heard, thereby increasing the chance that they may actually sell some units.

Quote Originally Posted by djAj90 View Post
    I got neg repped for my comments on TPB, and people assume I use it for my music sources but I don't.
    What does Vietnam's Tien Phong Bank have to do with downloading music?
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Recording a mix, however, and uploading it is a grey area.
    No it's not.

Typed some stuff, then realized everything's already been said elsewhere, and it's just going to be the same argument.

You are comparing people seeding music for piracy, and people uploading mixes to sites. It's not a double standard; it's apples and oranges, whether you believe that or not.

And good job calling out 99% of DJ's as being hypocrites just because you're mad someone negged you. That's one way to gain a lot of respect on a forum dedicated to DJ's.

But it still involves not getting a distribution license and the royalties attached to them. Most of the dj's I know from other sites all torrent their music and they are never told they are not a real dj nor does the club check them.

From what I gather, SoundCloud is really cutting down on users uploading copyrighted material. So grey area or not right now, I'm sure they're going to be putting it into color here real soon.

There is a policy of "Fair Use" but that only goes so far.
    Last edited by LiquidFusion; 01-24-2013 at 06:19 AM.