Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Why Do People (DJs) Hate Top 40 Music?

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    geez. didn't mean to start a grammar debate. you get what i mean.
    Da ich nicht, dass kein Deutsch weiß. Es ist nicht wirklich fair für mich Sie kommentieren Englisch Grammatik. Außerdem war ich über Interpunktion kommentieren.

Grammatik ist, wie die Wörter geschrieben, sagte oder sind. Z. B. "Wie mein Englisch geht?" nicht Grammatik korrigieren. Rechtschreibung auch.Interpunktion ist Perioden, Komma, Ausrufezeichen, Fragezeichen, halb Doppelpunkte. Sie Sätze zu beenden und sagen, wie der Satz genommen werden sollte. "Ist das richtige?" Zeigt, dass es geht.

(Since that was done with Bing translator, it probably came out as German gibberish.)
    Last edited by Windows 95; 01-09-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I say one good thing,
    one good thing about music
    When it hits you feel no pain
    One good thing about music
    When it hits you feel no pain
    So hit me with music
    Bob Marley

This is how I feel. I love music of all shapes and sizes. I don't care how simple, complex, style, popularity, etc. It should feel good. If it doesn't then why are you listening to it?

I also don't care if punters have armature / simple ears. Enjoying music shouldn't come with rules and a manual. If they are loving getting hit with some music then right on.
    My - Mix Thread. Perception July 19 2014 - Deep House http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?41577-Perception-Supperclub-SF-July-19-2014
    Electronic Press Kit http://DJFarzon.com

was going to comment but i see tooic has changed; therefore, i shant.

- JJ
    - jj -

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Da ich nicht, dass kein Deutsch weiß. Es ist nicht wirklich fair für mich Sie kommentieren Englisch Grammatik. Außerdem war ich über Interpunktion kommentieren.

Grammatik ist, wie die Wörter geschrieben, sagte oder sind. Z. B. "Wie mein Englisch geht?" nicht Grammatik korrigieren. Rechtschreibung auch.Interpunktion ist Perioden, Komma, Ausrufezeichen, Fragezeichen, halb Doppelpunkte. Sie Sätze zu beenden und sagen, wie der Satz genommen werden sollte. "Ist das richtige?" Zeigt, dass es geht.

(Since that was done with Bing translator, it probably came out as German gibberish.)
    LOL wtf?!?
    The rest of the world is tired of US interventionism and the US taxpayer is tired of footing the bill for US interventionism. #teamidiot is on the prowl

I'll admit that I haven't read the entire thread... but I'll throw my opinions out there anyway.

One of the things that really drove me out of commercial mobile DJing in the early 2000s was the direction that "pop" music was taking. I noticed that an overwhelming amount of "pop" music fit one of two categories:

• Modern rock grungy BS that people liked on the radio, but it wasn't danceable.
    • Rap tracks that were too-low-BPM and/or had inappropriate subject matter even when it was the "clean" version.

Real "dance"-oriented pop music was still out there, but ironically, I could play it and the floor would clear. Britney Spears was a great example... remember when she was actually a big deal - around the "Baby One More Time" and "Crazy" days? (The song "Crazy," not "shave my head and come after you with a golf club" crazy.) Her stuff was huge on the radio, but I received hardly any requests for her music at my events and if I did play something by her, the floor would often clear.

People would dance to older tracks that they new... but any "brand new" music that I played would usually clear the floor. This was especially infuriating when it came to high school events, because there was a vicious cycle:

• I would try play what should have been "hot new dance music."
    • The kids wouldn't dance.
    • The kids would request undanceable rock tracks or inappropriate/sucky rap tracks.
    • I wouldn't play the inappropriate stuff at school dances.
    • Playing the rock tracks would still clear the floor because they weren't dance tracks.
    • The administrators/sponsors, who were often a gang of ignorant CHUDs, would wonder "Why isn't this guy playing the hot new dance music?"
    • I would try play what should have been "hot new dance music..."

[I feel the need to state that I LOVE a lot of hip-hop tracks. That being said, a lot of newer hip-hop is pretty sucktacular.]

So, after I started doing more club events - mainly retro events - in the early 2000s, I lost track of a lot of pop music. I still followed it kind of half-heartedly, but I didn't put nearly as much concentration on it as I'd used to

Over time, though, I noticed a welcome change in pop music culture. Dance music began to make a comeback. "Club" music and "pop" music intermingled more... which was somewhat good and somewhat bad.

I still wasn't doing a lot of "modern" dance DJing, so I missed a lot of stuff getting overplayed. For instance, I seriously hadn't heard Avicii's "Levels" until AFTER it was overblown. I finally got curious enough to look up the video and hear this song so many DJs absolutely LOATHED.

You know what? I loved it.

I loved "Levels." I still do.

I checked out his other stuff and found "Seek B*******." Loved that, too.

(I have a feeling that if we were all in the same room, some of you would already be gathering wood to burn me at the stake.)

At some point along the line, I stumbled onto the video for the Black Eyed Peas' "Don't Phunk with My Heart." I thought it was great. (Granted, I think will.i.am is a piece of shit.)

A few years back, my wife started listening to Lady Gaga. I made fun of her, because I knewwwww that Lady Gaga sucked. I hadn't really listened to her, but I knew, from what I'd heard, that Lady Gaga sucked. There wouldn't be any way to redeem herself from her reputation among my esteemed fellow DJ brethren.

My wife made me watch the video for "Paparazzi." ARGH. I loved it. Ditto for "Bad *******," and "Poker Face," and "Just Dance," and "Telephone." I felt "wrong" inside because I liked this. I wasn't supposed to, because damn it, I was a self-respecting DJ and this was fluffy pop shit. However, upon further inspection... Gaga could play instruments. She was writing her own stuff. She was actually crafting some lyrics that were actually pretty good.

(I should say that I wasn't nearly as big a fan of the stuff on her Born This Way album... but I loved "Applause.")

Then, there was Ke$ha. No no no, no no no no. I had to draw the line somewhere, and this no-talent hack was the one that was finally going to make me say, "enough."

Oh, but wait. She was actually writing her own stuff, as well as tracks for others... and what I heard, while it was indeed skanky party-pop bullshit, was really GREAT dance music. I heard "Tik Tok" and couldn't get out of my head. Same with "We R Who We R" and "Take It Off" and "Blow."

So, yeah... I feel dirty. I actually LIKE some top-40 music these days. I still have to draw the line somewhere, though.

So, to round things up, here are my confessions.

I actually have found myself enjoying stuff by: Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Avicii, Bruno Mars, Flo-Rida, Katy Perry, Akon, David Guetta, and (to only a small extent) the Black-Eyed Peas, among others.

I still dislike (to various degrees ranging from "merely don't enjoy" to "cannot stand" to "die in a grease fire"): One Direction, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Lil' Wayne, and Chris Brown.

Old-School DJ, Remix Archivist, Vinyl Freak, and Nostalgia Addict
    DJBadger.com | Awesome Retro DJ Service | Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud | ACIDPlanet
    RUTHLESS PROGRESSION | Please don't rent cars from Dollar or Thrifty!

...aannndddddd the truth starts coming out