Thread: DIY acapella question

DIY acapella question

Hey all,
    I am trying to take the vocals off a track using in the DIY method of taking the full song and the instrumental, then flipping the wave form of one of the tracks to get a better acapella (for a song whose acapella I can't find anywhere).

Here is a video of me trying to follow the video:

In the video, I have the full song on track 1 and the instrumental on track 2. They are of different bitrate (if that matters).
    The waveforms look pretty different so I lined them up as best I could.
    In the video, the guy adds the Gain and then the instrumental phases out significantly......As you can see, when I try it, it doesn't work.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by TBA; 01-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Just looking at that, the instrumental isnt going to work as it's just not good enough quality and the waveform is too different to 'cancel out' the music in the original.

Here's my attempt (Can't get rid of the clap)
    Soundcloud rejected the file. Here's the speedyshare link.
    http://speedy.sh/6yUgN/2-Chainz-I-m-...Y-Acapella.mp3

A few other pieces of advice for the future (because when it works, this technique is great so don't let this attempt discourage you.)

-You don't always have to change the gain when you line them up. That's just because the music is often a bit softer in the vocal mix (to stay out of 'the red') but more often than not, they're identical with the vocals added in.

-Adobe Audition will be a huge help when you learn to use the noise reduction features. Also with it's vocal remove tool, you'll be able to create your own instrumentals (I used the technique in the example below). However you can't change the parameters of this feature so much like in my example, some bits of music leak into the vocal but occasionally it works very well.

-If the song has even a few bars of music with no vocals, you can copy this, invert it and use that to remove the music from other parts with the same music. (probably only going to help for you 4 lines of a song or so in most cases)

And here's a few examples of my results from each feature.

Inverted Official Instrumental:

Adobe Audition - Noise reduction and EQ

Adobe Audition - Vocal remove feature to create instrumental and invert.

So they all come out as I would call good enough. They might not sound great but a beat added in does wonders. Of course the studio acapella is preferred but these methods are always worth a try
    Last edited by Kingbob182; 01-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    what?