View Poll Results: Do you run in Mono or Stereo?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mono

9 34.62%
  • Stereo

17 65.38%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mono or Stereo?

I run stereo tops and summed subs. The human brain can pick up stereo cues even if one speaker is further away from one ear than the other.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    The Mackie doesn't have an option to output in mono, and there's no software option in DJAY. Would I simply need a dual-RCA-to-1/4" mono cable to achieve mono from the Vestax?

http://www.pssl.com/Y-Cable-14-M-To-...CA-M-Mono-98Ft
    No!
    You either need a mixer that has a mono switch, or you need a "stereo-to-mono summing box".

You can build a stereo-to-mono summing box yourself, here's the schematics for building one:
    http://rane.com/note109.html
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    No!
    You either need a mixer that has a mono switch, or you need a "stereo-to-mono summing box".
    So using a cable like that wouldn't achieve the same thing? Does it have to do with the info you mentioned in the other similar thread, regarding ruining a mixer?

Edit: reading the link now...good info! Thanks

Looks like I'll continue to run in stereo for the time being until I can figure out a proper (and cheap & easy) way to run mono.
    Last edited by cooper; 01-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.

So using a cable like that wouldn't achieve the same thing? Does it have to do with the info you mentioned in the other similar thread, regarding ruining a mixer?
    Mixer, or amplifier, or powered speakers.
    It's like putting a 12 volt battery in a car that uses a 6 volt battery.

By adding resisters to your "Y" configuration, it changes the output impedance back to normal & reduces the chance of damaging your equipment. Although I would think they would have at least one diode (or two) in each of the schematics, to prevent one output signal from bleeding back into the other output signal of the mixer.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 01-22-2013 at 03:13 PM.

IIRC, most clubs run in mono for the reasons given above.

My crowds are usually <100 on the dancefloor so maintaining the stereo image isn't a problem. If I were to perform to larger crowds with multiple speakers locations, I'd run in mono.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Funny how 99.99999 percent of the mixers that come from pioneer, Denon etc are STEREO.
    Ever set-up your gear at a venue and before anyone gets there pop on a few of your fav' tunes and go sit in the "sweet spot" on the dancefloor?
    It's Stereo all the way for me...It sounds soooooooo much fuller.

Quote Originally Posted by A#1 DJ View Post
    Funny how 99.99999 percent of the mixers that come from pioneer, Denon etc are STEREO.
    Ever set-up your gear at a venue and before anyone gets there pop on a few of your fav' tunes and go sit in the "sweet spot" on the dancefloor?
    It's Stereo all the way for me...It sounds soooooooo much fuller.
    If everyone one the dance floor could/would all dance in that little sweet spot I would probably go stereo too. Sadly they don't so I don't.

In the immortal words of Mr. Spock "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." And as we all know he was directly referring to the need to get the best possible sound to the greatest number of people on the dance floor regardless of where they stand on it and not just for the people dancing in the sweet spot... that whole 'I'm dying of radiation poisoning' thing was just an afterthought of the director put in during the final edit of Star Trek II.

By the way, my mixer gives me the option to go stereo or mono... don't most?
    Last edited by Galager; 01-22-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: minor clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Galager View Post
    By the way, my mixer gives me the option to go stereo or mono... don't most?
    Depends on the brand. Gemini & Gemsound usually has it, Pioneer & Rane usually doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Depends on the brand. Gemini & Gemsound usually has it, Pioneer & Rane usually doesn't.
    And these are DJ mixers. Many mobile DJ's use digital controllers with or without non-DJ mixers (such as my own setup). I'm actually surprised my software doesn't have a mono option; maybe it does and I'm just not aware of it, but I can't find anything on the web about it.

I'm actually surprised my software doesn't have a mono option; maybe it does and I'm just not aware of it, but I can't find anything on the web about it.
    I'm not. Most DJs aren't going to be playing for several thousand people if they're doing their own sound. In most cases just having the tweeters far enough over people's head is going to allow for just about everyone on the dance floor to hear the music in stereo.