Thread: DJ Table for 1200s and 2x CDJs

DJ Table for 1200s and 2x CDJs

Hey guys,

Tired of having my DJ equipment on a random table and looking to set up a more "permanent" home for all the stuff. In the market for a DJ table that can accommodate 2x 1200s (non-battle style), a 4-channel mixer as well as 2x CDJs.

Initially, I was thinking of just using the IKEA "record" shelf (or something very similar) so I can have my wax organized right there beneath the decks. Its definitely wallet friendly, etc.

My concerns with this...

- Will it be sturdy enough (not wobble) for DJ use if not butted up against a wall (as in the photo above)?
    - Concerned how wide it will be to add CDJs on each side of the turntables - I have it set up that way and I already am not a fan of having my gear spread out so far.

- Is there another solution, like an attachable CDJ mount, that you guys can think of?

Alternately, I was thinking something along the lines of this...

...or this...

...but with out the $1300+ price tag. Is there anything in the $300-500 range that satisfies my needs and looks decent?
    Last edited by Finnish_Fox; 01-14-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Forgot mixer in description.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Most of the Ikea DJ tables that people have posted here don't wobble. They are butted up against the wall because most bedroom DJ's don't have the room to put the table in the middle of the room. So butting them up against the wall is the only place to put it.

I have an Ikea Expedite 4x2 with my 1200's, mixer, and laptop on top, with vinyl and accessories in the cubbies below. It's free standing on all 4 sides and it doesn't wobble one bit. I used Gorilla glue along with the hardware supplied to put it together. Thing is solid as a rock. The bookshelf isn't deep enough to accomodate CDJ stands (or at least, I wouldn't trust it), so some kind of support would need to be fab'd up. Also you'll probably need to increase the height of it too as most people are taller than me (5' 7") and would have to crouch over use it at the stock height.

To battle the height theres 2 plans of attack:
    1) Get the accessory legs you can buy from Ikea and mount them on the bottom of the shelf to raise it up

2) Get the same accessory legs like in #1 but mount them on the top, then use a piece of plywood or MDF and secure that to the top of the legs.

From a structural standpoint I like #2 better because there will be less overall weight on the legs. If you want to install CDJ stands just get a deeper sheet of wood/MDF, at least 1/2" thick to be sure that whatever you mount to it will stay put. You could also fab up your own CDJ stands out of pipe fittings with threaded ends and end flanges.
    Quote Originally Posted by tails View Post
    I do a pretty lazy job wiping my ass if I know I'm about to shower though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    Most of the Ikea DJ tables that people have posted here don't wobble. They are butted up against the wall because most bedroom DJ's don't have the room to put the table in the middle of the room. So butting them up against the wall is the only place to put it.
    Cheers for the response. Also, cheers for the PM response w/ link to the table! +REP

Quote Originally Posted by g-sep View Post
    I have an Ikea Expedite 4x2 with my 1200's, mixer, and laptop on top, with vinyl and accessories in the cubbies below. It's free standing on all 4 sides and it doesn't wobble one bit. I used Gorilla glue along with the hardware supplied to put it together. Thing is solid as a rock. The bookshelf isn't deep enough to accomodate CDJ stands (or at least, I wouldn't trust it), so some kind of support would need to be fab'd up. Also you'll probably need to increase the height of it too as most people are taller than me (5' 7") and would have to crouch over use it at the stock height.
    So, I am leaning toward to Expedit solution, mostly due to cost and appearance. Panotaker sent me a link to an awesome $500 production studio table on wheels, but I think I can do the Expedits solution that I am thinking of for 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost. My Expedit solution slightly differs from yours, however, as it wouldn't include a secondary shelf and actually consists of 2 of the Expedit 4x2's.

Effectively, instead of lining them up side-by-side (which is what I'd like to avoid) I would double them up so it would be the width of 1 4x2 but the depth of 2x 4x2s. On the front one (closer to the DJ), the TTs and mixer would be placed. I would then bolt on CDJ mounts onto the second one (further away from DJ).

Here is a really crappy top-view drawing I made:

The next step in the concept is to find a way to conceal all the cables but also make them easily accessible if and when I need to take down my equipment.

Also, where can I buy the angled CDJ shelves and mounts?

To battle the height theres 2 plans of attack:
    1) Get the accessory legs you can buy from Ikea and mount them on the bottom of the shelf to raise it up

2) Get the same accessory legs like in #1 but mount them on the top, then use a piece of plywood or MDF and secure that to the top of the legs.
    I'm 5'11" and the Expedits are 2" taller than the table I am currently using. If I decide to increase the heights, I will likely look toward this guide (which is what inspired my idea) as it has the specific legs that fit the Expedit listed.

Another thought would be to put the stand on locking wheels... ???

From a structural standpoint I like #2 better because there will be less overall weight on the legs. If you want to install CDJ stands just get a deeper sheet of wood/MDF, at least 1/2" thick to be sure that whatever you mount to it will stay put. You could also fab up your own CDJ stands out of pipe fittings with threaded ends and end flanges.
    Nominally, this is what I'd like to do... attach my own CDJ stands to the second (deeper) Expedit shelf, but it'd also be nice to have wood grain "plated" CDJ shelves.

Cheers for the response! +REP

Here are some wood-grain laminated CDJ stands for $250 + tax + shipping for the pair...

http://dualsf.com/products_accessories.html#

Know of any others that do a wood laminated look?