Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: First direct competitor of Ableton Live? BITWIG

yea played with the demo for a few hours yesterday, meh. Its nice and has potential, but it is still buggy, still has PDC issues, lacks any real routing options. Their modulation system has all sorts of odd restrictions, really lives' m4l setup while it may have seemed half-baked actually has way more flexibility. It was interesting to play with but IMHO if you already own live it doesnt really seem worth the 400$ tag as of yet. It will be interesting to see where it goes though, apparently first on their list is the PDC fixes followed by routing and group tracks, so may come back to it after those happen. Its also hard to buy into a v1 product with an unknown company who is promising a whole lot to come in v2 but took their sweet ass time with v1, but also who knows what their upgrade schemes are like

Does have a ton of potential though with their scripting scheme for controllers, still have to look into that. Hoping that since its a fresh code base bug fixes and enhancements can come fast and furious, an older base has a much harder time with that. Also interested to see what kind of push scripts people can come up with. I think Im just going to give it time and possibly look back into it around christmas when they'll inevitably have some sort of sale on it. Im sure they will work out all their issues, it will be a good barometer to see how long it takes until it really settles down
    Last edited by ezelkow1; 03-27-2014 at 10:11 PM.

I was trying to try it, but the lack of save option in the demo discourages me too much.
    "The dedication to repetition — the search for nirvana in a single held tone or an endlessly cycling rhythm — is one of electronic music's noblest gestures."

They sent out updates fast and furious the first few weeks to fix alot of the major bugs, but its still lacking in a great many areas. I occasionally peek in the kvr bitwig forum to see how their releases are going and half the time it seems they put out a new revision only to introduce another 5-10 bugs. So IMHO they have a long ways to go until its stable and actually feature complete compared to competitors. Also they still dont have PDC fixed despite them saying from the beginning the PDC would work. Initially on release it was broken, then they implemented a half-assed fix, and even with that its still broken in some situations like when you start putting some vst's in containers

Personally Im holding off until ~1.5 release and then Ill go back and check it. Figure by then they should be having some 50% off sales anyway, I cant imagine they got many purchasers (except those who just buy based on the pie in the sky magazine reviews or some deep seeded hatred of ableton) without some sort of crossgrade or intro price when for the first 2 months its still pretty buggy. Asking people to pay full price to beta their software, SMH
    Last edited by ezelkow1; 06-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.