Thread: A couple of questions about production in FL Studio

A couple of questions about production in FL Studio

Hey guys. loving the Demo of FL Studio at the moment ans putting together some sweet hooks.

But I'm finding the levels should be easier to adjusct for each track or (much more likely) I'm missing something.

I can change the velocity in the piano roll (only 1 by 1, is there some way to change all selected?) and I can change the volume on the 'pattern' box but that changes the volume for that instrument in all patterns and I tend to use the same synths for bass and hook in a lot of tracks or I like to have the volume varying for an instrument in different sections of the track.

Lastly, and this could be fixed when I work out the levels issue, I find that sounds are clashing/cancelling each other out. Sometimes I hit play and it sounds great and other times it's like notes notes are just missing or really hidden and hard to hear.

This last bit isn't much of an issue, but I'd like to be able to zoom out further when I look at the playlist window even when it's just empty space. If this is possible, I'd love to know how.

Thanks for any help you can give me
    what?

you have to assign your instruments to channels in the mixer. I forget how now since I dont use it much but theres an option somewhere to assign to empty mixer slot, or something like that. Then you can adjust the volume from there, add insert effects, etc

For the clashing it just sounds like you have too much going on in certain frequency ranges, i.e. your bass and kick drum are both taking up the same freq range at the same time, cancelling/clashing/etc. You have to identify which instruments are doing that and eq it out, or in the case of bass/kick most people sidechain compress the bass either a little or alot, so it ducks when the kick hits. You could start by going through each instrument and setting up an eq and start by cutting out the very low and high on each one, i.e. removing the very low of the kick and bass, any low and some mids on stuff like hats and snares, then go and start eliminating clashing ones. Just do it by ear, as long as it sounds good to you

For changing the volume of each note in a piano roll, select each note so they are all highlighted then right click (and hold) on the volume level of the left most note and drag all the way to the right. Each note should adjust in unison.

To have varied volumes of the same synth in different parts of the song, I always just automate the volume. To do that, right click on the volume knob in the step sequencer of the synth you want to automate, and click on "create automation clip". This will create an automation clip in the playlist that spans the length of the track, but you can drag it to make it longer or short if you want. From there you just right click on the automation line to create points at different locations in order to change the volume. For example, if you wanted the synth to be louder during the chorus, create a point at the bar where it begins and one where it ends, and drag those points up to your desired volume level, making sure they are equal. You can see the actual percentage of volume in the top left corner. One thing to beware of with that, it will cause the automation line before and after to be curved. To fix that, right click again below each of the points you created and this will make another point at the same bar, which will give you a square shape.

As for the clashing and cancelling, you probably just need to send each sound to the mixer and use the Parametric EQ 2 to filter out un-needed frequencies. That will definitely help. And as said, try some sidechain compression with the bd and affected sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1207 View Post
    For changing the volume of each note in a piano roll, select each note so they are all highlighted then right click (and hold) on the volume level of the left most note and drag all the way to the right. Each note should adjust in unison.

To have varied volumes of the same synth in different parts of the song, I always just automate the volume. To do that, right click on the volume knob in the step sequencer of the synth you want to automate, and click on "create automation clip". This will create an automation clip in the playlist that spans the length of the track, but you can drag it to make it longer or short if you want. From there you just right click on the automation line to create points at different locations in order to change the volume. For example, if you wanted the synth to be louder during the chorus, create a point at the bar where it begins and one where it ends, and drag those points up to your desired volume level, making sure they are equal. You can see the actual percentage of volume in the top left corner. One thing to beware of with that, it will cause the automation line before and after to be curved. To fix that, right click again below each of the points you created and this will make another point at the same bar, which will give you a square shape.

As for the clashing and cancelling, you probably just need to send each sound to the mixer and use the Parametric EQ 2 to filter out un-needed frequencies. That will definitely help. And as said, try some sidechain compression with the bd and affected sounds.
    Thanks to both of you. I completely forget about the mixer even though I've used it before to create effects
    what?

Google 'mixing and mastering in fl studio'. This will answer everything.

You need to Learn how to do these 2 things
    NEVIN
    http://www.facebook.com/nevinmusic
    Electro/Dubstep DJ and PRODUCER. Although i produce better than i DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by nevin View Post
    Google 'mixing and mastering in fl studio'. This will answer everything.

You need to Learn how to do these 2 things
    I'll need to.

Song removed by Soundcloud

This is what I've been working on (and honestly, I'm thrilled that I could create it withinin the first 2 half-days of downloading the FL Studio Demo and buying a keyboard) but it just doesnt have the crispness I want. With the clear highs that aren't overpowering on the snares and claps.
    Last edited by Kingbob182; 01-30-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    what?