Thread: dance music aficionados / audiophiles: help!

Smile dance music aficionados / audiophiles: help!

hey guys I was hoping to receive some mixing insight on this dance track sample I've put together below

it's pretty bare boned, but if you wouldn't mind taking a listen...

A few things:

1) at about 0:28 when the bass notes / low arp come in I'm having a real hard time emphasizing the clarity of the bass without it sounding like crap/distorting. Same for 1:30 onward. Any suggestions?

2) in general, do you guys feel as if the main synth is too loud for your taste?

I'm working solely in Reason 5.0 if that helps

Thanks for any and all advice guys!

i will be checking this out tomorrow. i am writing here so i don't forget

Sounds OK to me, but I don't get the drop out @ about 56 seconds.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Sounds OK to me, but I don't get the drop out @ about 56 seconds.
    So people don't rip it from SC and loop it etc to make copy the track and play it themselves

I like it. The main synth is loud and I certainly wouldn't go any louder but I don't think it's too loud. Try playing it out somewhere on club speakers and see what EQ adjustments you need for it to sound good in that environment.

And the bass notes aren't exactly prominent but again it will depend on the system it's played on. I think it's better off how it is instead of more bass with less clarity.

The bass is noticeable and any more might even take away from the euphoric, big room sound, I think for that style, it sounds great.
    what?

Okay, you passed the laptop speakers test. I can't give specific mixing criticism on laptop speakers so I'll be back again, but here's a couple of things. Your pre-drop bass isn't audible on laptop speakers. If you want more, up either your 200 or your 500 range for the bass a tiny bit, or up the eq on the attack at 800-2400. You can do that also by using resonance and programming it to go from higher resonance to lower resonance with the right cutoff using LFOs or an envelop routing in the synth itself (I should do one of my production tips on this).

However, you don't really need more pre drop bass. And raising the lower end will probably clash with the low ends of the lead synth line.

Post drop I suggest some more fanfare. Like a airpad that wooshes down or something, sidechained if you want to stick to the 2012 pop music theme.

Like I said, you passed the ubiquitous macbook pro speakers' test. The lead synth, especially the lower end sound is really good.

Finally I do have one main criticism which depends on whether this is a practice track or you want to go somewhere with it. I've heard this exact lead melody in that exact instrument style in at least one if not ten different trance tracks since the late 90s. It might even be a Tiesto piece. It's fairly oldschool but with a modern Logic Pro platinum compressor set to 16 to one on the snare. That and you need more reverb and resonant sounds, and probably most of all, delay. Or, put the lead quieter and make it a full stop vocal (pop) song. It can be a solid instrumental, but you gotta make it more your own. Cheers.
    Last edited by Hygro; 01-14-2013 at 03:00 PM.