Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: # of facebook likes and youtube views and getting gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    It might be different in Dallas, but I'm an EDM DJ over in Europe and over here no one could give a damn how many facebook likes/Youtube hits you have.

Its all about networking to get gigs, and absolutely nothing else in my experience. You have to get out there on the streets, in the bars & clubs, talking to owners, managers and promoters.

The first step is all about who you know, after that how good you are comes into play; if you can't read a crowd and keep your records in sync you won't be playing again, whether its for 30 seconds, let alone 30 minutes.
    +1. Same in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    EDM Venues - typically run by younger inexperienced promoters. This is where your FB likes really come into play. They will book upwards of 5-10 DJs in one night. They like to see the DJs they book to have a following without regard to a DJ's ability to mix or read the crowd. Afterall they are only playing for 30. to 1hr if that. Pay is typically a bar tab or $25+ with a promise of higher paying gig down the line and a better time slot.

So my advice to you is, if you are looking at EDM venues, yes pump up your FB, Youtube, ETC. If you are looking for more commercial club venues, YOU NEED TO NETWORK to get gigs. I can't advice much on mobile since I don't do much. A corporate event here and there. Most of that is from people I know that recommended me.

Hope that help!!
    EDM clubs across the pond must be a bit different... not that anyone actually calls it EDM here but I digress.

Here the in-house promoters (the guy you'd speak to to hire the venue, who's responsible for the overall direction of the club) is generally quite experienced, someone who's got their finger on the pulse but also experience, maybe with running their own night(s) for several years. The freelancers who actually organised nights are probably younger, DJs who're looking for gigs and/or to put on people they like.

As for 5-10 DJs in one night, no way unless you're talking 2 rooms across several hours. For a standard 4-5 hour club night you'd be talking 2 or 3 slots.

FB likes don't come into play at all (not many will have their own page anyway) and it's not really the done thing for DJs to have a youtube channel.

Here it's quite tough to get a gig playing dance music as most of the nights are run by DJs/promoters who, at least as far as standard nights are concerned, are residents at their own nights and would hire a "name" to headline. Either that or if they do nights with locals it tends to be people who already run other nights who get invited as guests. It's a case of if you can't beat em, join em - not sure about other cities but here it seems the main way to make a name for yourself is to be part of a crew of promoters.

The networking part is of course very true, the more people you know the better. I'd advise anyone (at least in the sort of scenes I'm into) to spend much, MUCH more time finding people who share their interests, going out and partying, getting to know DJs, promoters, etc than messing about with Facebook and Youtube and all that - yes by all means use FB to get in/keep in contact with people but you need to be out and about for things to happen, in my experience anyway.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I know DJF is predominantly more mainstream DJs than me where things like FB likes and Youtube might matter more, I still think getting out there is important though.
    Last edited by disparate; 12-28-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Peep this if you still thinking about buying youtube views smh > http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/youtube-...medium=twitter
    I'm Just Trying To Make A Name For Myself... Check My Newest Release 'Memories (Original Mix)' Here > https://soundcloud.com/djslurrty/slu...s-original-mix
    Follow me on twitter also www.twitter.com/slurrty

It wasn't "fake views",it was videos that were switched from youtube to vevo. I'm a member on a blackhat forum,and I read about that a few days ago. The program I use(vagex) allows you to build up free credits and spend that on a video,none of my videos have taken a hit if youtube was really going after "fake views".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
    Damn people really waste time with buying views? If the music is good it will speak for itself
    Sadly it won't anymore.

A lot of people won't even bother clicking you're music UNLESS they see that a thousand other people have all ready done so. People are sheep. They follow the flock. In a way it's like saying "Well if 1000000 people think it's shit it must be shit." but in a kind of "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" Pulp Fiction kinda way.

I've found a lot of people with lower numbers actually make better music (Hi there ) but alot of them are also older and so, they have the experience and knowledge to make great music, but, might not be too saavy with new aged media such as Facebook. Furthermore, I think when you're young, you still have all you're friends. Facebook is GREAT for getting in touch with OLD friends, so older people can still have access to everyone they did when they were 18, but, the reality is, they've all moved on. They might be on your Facebook but it doesn't mean you're going to all hang out again like old times which means you're numbers again, shrink.

I have 200 and something Facebook friends. Nothing compared to younger people I know who are like 1000, 1700 etc. Even on Sound Cloud and I ask myself "How do they get them?" They in no way talk to them all. I only legitimately talk to maybe 100 of those people. The rest are just there because we knew eachother years ago and it's the polite thing to do. However my mailing list is 1000+ strong of e-mail addresses of people who have signed up to receive updates of my music. That's pathetic on todays scale where kids have thousands upon thousands, but, 5 years ago, in our little circle (before Facebook etc) it was unheard of. When I had my physical network still, playing to 1000 people LIVE infront of you, yeah, it COULD happen. It DID happen... Having that many sign up to continuously be involved tho, was unheard of.

I just want to make sure I have everything covered from knowing music theory,mixing well reading crowd to appearance and marketing. Before I switch from being a mobile dj to a club dj.

Banned
    can't you do both at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by djAj90 View Post
    It wasn't "fake views",it was videos that were switched from youtube to vevo. I'm a member on a blackhat forum,and I read about that a few days ago. The program I use(vagex) allows you to build up free credits and spend that on a video,none of my videos have taken a hit if youtube was really going after "fake views".
    i would advise not using such services. it sounds like it might do more damage than good and get your account suspended if you are caught.

http://productforums.google.com/foru...be/AO482zrDCow