Thread: Looking to buy my first Set up and could do with some help.

Looking to buy my first Set up and could do with some help.

Ive read around on the forums and i feel the most appealing set up for me would be a Laptop + software and a controller, i already have a laptop but in all honesty id rather buy one specifically for DJing. If anyone can give me a few examples (preferably, low cost, medium cost and high cost) of what would be the ideal set up for a beginner with no experience that would be great.

Cheers, Jack.

There are endless debates here on Mac vs. PC, but I'll say this. If you think you might use Serato, I understand Serato specifically states their software works best on a MacBook Pro. Beyond that, many believe the Mac has fewer issues with audio than a PC, so if you have the money for a MBP, I'd say go for that. If you're planning on becoming a mobile DJ, it is highly recommended you get two and keep the 2nd one ghosted off the first for immediate backup in case of failure.

Short of that, if you're going the PC route, I think you'll be happiest if you concentrate on in this order
    a) powerful Intel CPU like an i5 or i7 with at least 2.2Ghz
    b) at least 4 GB RAM
    c) build quality reputation of mfg. (Asus, Thinkpad, Alienware for instance)
    d) as many built in USB ports as possible

It is also nice to get a big screen so you don't have to switch views as often (see my OP about 2 screens in Traktor)

In a recent post, I linked to an Asus on TigerDirect nicely spec'd for about $850.

I wouldn't recommend a low budget ($300-600) laptop for DJ'ing. If you can find one that fits all those criteria for cheap, fine, but I wouldn't trick myself into believing you can just get by with a lesser machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

On that note as well, what ive started to do on my current Laptop is play around on Virtual DJ, what software would you recommend? i do feel more inclined to go down the Laptop route and i feel maybe a Mac would best suit myself.

I think the general consensus is, Serato is slightly better for scratching/turntablism, Traktor definitely better for mixing/controllerism, VDJ if you want more than 4 decks (up to 99) or built in video. I used VDJ for a trial period some time back and just recently picked up Traktor Pro with the purchase of an Audio 2 soundcard. Traktor definitely has something with their new remix decks if you're looking to use a lot of effects. If you already have the pro version of VDJ, and you don't need the remix decks, and you already have a good soundcard, not sure you need to move from that though. Starting from zero, VDJ is almost as expensive as Serato if not more so. A comparable sound card to the SL2 is going to cost you a few bucks so depending on which you buy, added to the pro license of VDJ, it's right up there. With Traktor, you get an Audio 2 and the pro software for $99 or less on sale. I think I paid $79 just after Thanksgiving. One thing about the remix decks... the only way to control them with hardware right now is with the NI Kontrol F1 which is $250ish. You can use them on the screen only, but a controller is so much better. In the future, I fully expect NI to come out with something like an S5 or S6 with remix deck controls.
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

in terms of controllers, would i need one right away? and what exactly is there purpose? is the controller basically what id be doing with VDJ but using my hands instead of a keyboard and mouse?

Consider this scenario... you're mixing between track A and track B so your mouse is moving the cross fader. Now in the middle of doing that, you want to add a sound effect or filter. You have to stop moving the cross fader and click on the controls to bring that in, thus losing your flow. With a controller, you can do 2 or 3 things at a time. It is much more convenient unless all your'e doing are simple fade mixes.

I wondered that, at the moment im just learning the ropes so it is mostly Fading and a few sound effects nothing too serious, would you suggest buying a controller straight away or perhaps sticking with just a laptop + Software whilst i learn the ropes?

There are keyboard hot keys but a controller is ideal.

go with controller... even if u don't want to spend much money in the beginning there are plenty cheap controllers out there who give u everything u need to get started... i went for the Ion Discover DJ pro bought it brand new for about 150 dollars....dunno if u live far from me cuz i'm selling it as off next week........helped me alot to get started and now i'm waiting for my brand new MC 3000..... will be here on wednesday i hope.....