Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think it's time for me to bring my DJing to the next level, no idea where to start.

I think it's time for me to bring my DJing to the next level, no idea where to start.

I got into the whole DJ thing in November 2010, starting with a Hercules RMX and VirtualDJ. Now, I use CDJ 1000s and am at the point where I can beatmatch a song in fifteen seconds. I'm a happy hardcore/UK hardcore DJ, used to do drum and bass although I'm getting back into liquid stuff. When I mix happy hardcore, I usually do typical intro/outro mixing, but I have an absolute blast with it. With drum and bass I've noticed you can do more intricate double drop stuff and other techniques simply because the music isn't as "full," you can do three deck mixing and the like a lot more easily because two drum and bass songs can often complement themselves quite nicely.

Here's what I'm getting at. I can do intro/outro mixing all day, but that's not what DJing is all about. I really can't figure out what other stuff I should be trying. With happy/UK hardcore it seems like this is about all I can do. Any suggestions?

i also mix happy hardcore although mostly stuff from the 90s amongst other things. i do alot of beat juggling in my sets, maybe you could try giving it ago i only use vinyl myself tho

Quote Originally Posted by Raindance Rob View Post
    i also mix happy hardcore although mostly stuff from the 90s amongst other things. i do alot of beat juggling in my sets, maybe you could try giving it ago i only use vinyl myself tho
    A lot of my stuff is more recentish, 2005-2011 (no oldschool stuff like you haha) although it's none of the dubcore/electrocore shit you'd find like on Clubland Xtreme Hardcore 8, think more along the lines of Hardcore Addiction 4/5 and Naggy, Avid and Audien's B2B mix Hardcore Wireless Bluetooth Peripherals.

Beat juggling could be pretty neat but I have no idea how I'd do it with UK hardcore and the like, do you have any beat juggling recorded or have a link to somebody beat juggling some hardcore?

yeah i know the kind of stuff you mean, not my cup of tea as too new for me but each to their own init just different ends of the spectrum hey not strictly beat juggling but you get the idea:

theres a few more upto date tunes in this one:
    http://soundcloud.com/raindance-rob-...-rob-b2b-dj-k2
    Last edited by Raindance Rob; 02-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Look into producing, learn ableton. That helped my refresh my skill set
    If you like what you see, give it some rep!

not that im trying discourage the OP from producing (far from it), but you dont have to produce to be a DJ & shouldnt have to imo

Quote Originally Posted by Raindance Rob View Post
    not that im trying discourage the OP from producing (far from it), but you dont have to produce to be a DJ & shouldnt have to imo
    100% agree with this.

I keep finding people that want to "take their DJing to the next level" by producing, which doesn't make any sense. Producing tracks doesn't make you a better DJ, it makes you a better producer. Try learning some new DJ techniques. Implement scratching routines, learn cue point juggling, play with effects. There's all sorts of things you can do, but ultimately you should set yourself apart by developing your own style, something that sets YOU apart from everyone else.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

I can beatmatch a song in fifteen seconds
    aim for 10 seconds. Then when you achieved that aim for 5 seconds. Then aim for less, then you can try having a go at pitch riding.

Production requires a lot of time, a lot of patience, dedication combined with knowledge, and a certain amount of money in order to get the gear / software. Satisfactory outcomes not included.

I can tell you right now that producing CAN make you a better DJ. Talent is within, either you have it or you don't. You can learn it but it takes drive. Give it a try. Ableton or FL is the way to go.

You can produce/edit tracks specifically for yourself, for your style. It will help you separate your sets from every other DJ and you really get to express yourself. It's YOUR shit. Nobody else has your edits/remixes/original tracks.

Try messing with acapelas. I'm just starting to do live blends while playing out. Most of the live blends I do are with acaps and tracks that I edited in FL Studio. I use it to create long outros, edit out verses, all sorts of things.. get creative with it.

I picked up my 1200's in late 2010. I learned how to DJ with cdj's and Virtual DJ. I was a hobbyist producer (hip hop) BEFORE I learned to DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin GoGreen View Post
    I can tell you right now that producing CAN make you a better DJ. Talent is within, either you have it or you don't. You can learn it but it takes drive. Give it a try. Ableton or FL is the way to go.
    This. Start producing.