Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy how there isnt a good kid M.A.A.D city Thread on here.

Crazy how there isnt a good kid M.A.A.D city Thread on here.

Kendrick Lamar is bringing real Hip Hop back into the mainstream and no one on here wont talk about it? K.Dot went Certified Gold selling over 500k copies of his debut album. Being a lyrical, concept hip hop album and selling that many copies in todays state of hip hop in the mainstream is a great feat! This is the type of album you have to listen from beginning to the end because he's telling a story.

Since his album came out before he can be nominated for a Grammy, Im calling GKMC "Best Rap Album of the Year" for 2014 Grammys.

I dig the whole album front to back since he's telling a story throughout the album but these are some of my favorite tracks off of GKMC.

*some of the audios tempos are changed due to youtubes copyright infringement*

Not the official video but someone made a vid with some clips of one of my fav gangster movies. Menace II Society.

This Backseat Freestyle track is Kendrick rappin as an adolescent. Talking about things that a young rapper wants in life from that perspective. This might sound like a typical rap song but like I said, you have to listen to the whole album to understand the story.

Last edited by RaySwift; 12-10-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Pls "Like" My Facebook Bandpage. Will return the favor! Lets unite!

-----------> www.facebook.com/rayswift707 <-------------

Last night I posted one of his music videos on bomb ass hip hop track of the day. Been listening to some of his material lately and it's pretty dope.

In b4 Sigma.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

How is Kendrick Lamar "real hip Hop"? Real Hip Hop is a culture and LA has one of the oldest and biggest Hip Hop cultures. Lamar is no way involved with LA Hip Hop culture. He's industry cat,no different than any yung whoever or lil so-so. Compare Destruct, who is well known within the LA Hip Hop scene, album with Kendrick Lamar's (Here. Who album sounds more like what we know Hip Hop sounds like from 80's & 90's 2000's Destruct or Lamarr? In Hip Hop you're expected as good or better than those who came before you Lamar is not even in the same league as those who came before him.

Lamar sounds like more than this Here than real Hip Hop. Simple rhymes over wack beats made to only sell records is not "real" Hip Hop, it's a gimmick. He's the 2012 version of Mickey Avalon. A music industry creation that will forgotten soon.

Calm the fuck down dude. So K.Dot isnt "real hip hop" because he doesnt rap like Immortal Technique or The Living Legends? Dude obviously got skills and I think Section 80 was actually better than GKMC. How is he a gimmick rapper? Does he have "swag" or make bullshit like lil wayne, Future, Officer Rick Ross over Lex Lugar/down south type beats? No. I heard a couple of Destruct tracks. No doubt he is dope but the boom bap era is long gone but I do miss the hell out of it. 90s style is never coming back which sucks. Destruct is in Murs, Dilated Peoples lane and that type of vibe isnt gonna make on todays mainstream level anytime soon.

This album had substance, storytelling, lyricism, subject matter and the production was on par. The beats depends on the listeners taste in music but I dig the production. Now im not saying that K.Dot is the best muthafucka outta LA to do it but Im just happy that a lyricist is finally back on the mainstream and gettin shine. He might have a different style and delivery that your not use to but that doesnt count him as a gimmick rapper because he's far from it.

So this is Gimmick rap?

Pls "Like" My Facebook Bandpage. Will return the favor! Lets unite!

-----------> www.facebook.com/rayswift707 <-------------

Damn I thought this would be a thread about music.

jk

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza21 View Post
    How is Kendrick Lamar "real hip Hop"? Real Hip Hop is a culture and LA has one of the oldest and biggest Hip Hop cultures. Lamar is no way involved with LA Hip Hop culture. He's industry cat,no different than any yung whoever or lil so-so. Compare Destruct, who is well known within the LA Hip Hop scene, album with Kendrick Lamar's (Here. Who album sounds more like what we know Hip Hop sounds like from 80's & 90's 2000's Destruct or Lamarr? In Hip Hop you're expected as good or better than those who came before you Lamar is not even in the same league as those who came before him.

Lamar sounds like more than this Here than real Hip Hop. Simple rhymes over wack beats made to only sell records is not "real" Hip Hop, it's a gimmick. He's the 2012 version of Mickey Avalon. A music industry creation that will forgotten soon.
    Besides the bend over backwards LA scene stuff, I concur. Came into this thread not knowing anything about KL, but he sounds a lot like every other trap pop artist out there... simple beats, rolling high-hats, and half the verses end with "nigga". Respect to him for talking about stuff other than drugs, women, and money, but for sure not what I would consider "real" hiphop (if you can define real hiphop).

Quote Originally Posted by RaySwift View Post
    Calm the fuck down dude. So K.Dot isnt "real hip hop" because he doesnt rap like Immortal Technique or The Living Legends? Dude obviously got skills and I think Section 80 was actually better than GKMC. How is he a gimmick rapper? Does he have "swag" or make bullshit like lil wayne, Future, Officer Rick Ross over Lex Lugar/down south type beats? No. I heard a couple of Destruct tracks. No doubt he is dope but the boom bap era is long gone but I do miss the hell out of it. 90s style is never coming back which sucks. Destruct is in Murs, Dilated Peoples lane and that type of vibe isnt gonna make on todays mainstream level anytime soon.

This album had substance, storytelling, lyricism, subject matter and the production was on par. The beats depends on the listeners taste in music but I dig the production. Now im not saying that K.Dot is the best muthafucka outta LA to do it but Im just happy that a lyricist is finally back on the mainstream and gettin shine. He might have a different style and delivery that your not use to but that doesnt count him as a gimmick rapper because he's far from it.

So this is Gimmick rap?
    And the boom boom bap era ain't gone. Take a listen to what's out there and you will find there are heads outside of LA who are gettin down to some shit that could pass for 1994. Mainstream is lamestream now-a-days. Just makes it better for the people willing to look for quality hiphop.

My definition of real Hip-Hop in 2012:

1995:

^^^That's off a sick mixtape called Bomb Threat - Check it^^^
    Last edited by Haddock; 12-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Ugh. This is why I never venture into this section. It's just going to be constant posts about how it's not 'real' hip hop/rap whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Interracial Tea View Post
    Ugh. This is why I never venture into this section. It's just going to be constant posts about how it's not 'real' hip hop/rap whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Interracial Tea View Post
    That's part of the reason I stopped listening to hip hop. It's too pretentious.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.