Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ergnomics of djing

For scratching I like the top of the mixer to be right at my belt line, for straight up mixing about 6" higher.

thanks

THanks for all the suggestions,
    I will be getting a table soon but for now ive been setting my midi controller on top of a 20 year old desktop computer i found in my basement and its working, though a little wobbly.
    If i dont find something good at ikea all make my own table.
    BTW, was that guy kidding about the the ball cancer thing.

I have my turntables and mixer set up to be pretty might at the "right-angle height" - meaning I can keep my arms at right angles, bent at the elbow, without having to stoop or hunch down, and manipulate the decks and mixer.

I never have ergonomic issues - the only thing that happens is my feet get sore if I am standing too long and jamming out.

Fig. 3. Optimal ergonomic simulation setting (Condition A, left); i.e. the distance of the monitor is proper; the operating surface is set as 80% of elbow height; the optical axis was perpendicular to the target plane; box is tilt as an angle of 20°.

Non-optimal ergonomic simulation setting (Condition B, right); i.e. the distance of the monitor is too far and higher than eye level; the operating surface is set as elbow height; the optical axis-to-target view angle was 45°.

Below is an illustration from the US Center for Disease Controls’ (CDC) National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) on three ways of eliminating stress on the body when working whilst standing.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

My decks are probably 2 inches above my belt line.

As far as preventing neck/back pain, my best bit of advice is: use a comfortable version of the kung fu horse stance. Seriously.

Feet shoulder-width apart, knees bent, back straight, keep your head directly over your spine at all times. When I'm jammin an bobbin around behind the decks, it's precisely up'n'down, so my back takes all the vertical pressure. Any other method, and I'd have to lay down after a couple hours on the decks. True story.
    ### Can you find the level of difficulty in this? ###
    Archives: http://jointsubcommittee.com
    Live: http://jungletrain.net/128kbps.m3u -- Tuesdays, 6-8pm MST - Darkstar & Goreteks

Quote Originally Posted by mars.shosh1n View Post
    My decks are probably 2 inches above my belt line.

As far as preventing neck/back pain, my best bit of advice is: use a comfortable version of the kung fu horse stance. Seriously.

Feet shoulder-width apart, knees bent, back straight, keep your head directly over your spine at all times. When I'm jammin an bobbin around behind the decks, it's precisely up'n'down, so my back takes all the vertical pressure. Any other method, and I'd have to lay down after a couple hours on the decks. True story.
    I'm not sure if your trolling or if I should take that seriously. The only reason I say that is because I just got a mental image of your explanation and I've been laughing for the last five minutes.
    Last edited by John Veselsky; 12-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Veselsky View Post
    I'm not sure if your trolling or if I should take seriously. The only reason I say hat is because I just got a mental image of your explanation and I've been laughing for the last five minutes.
    I can say with full humility that that was no troll. Yes, it probably looks goofy -- but much less so than me laying on the ground after a set from an aching back
    ### Can you find the level of difficulty in this? ###
    Archives: http://jointsubcommittee.com
    Live: http://jungletrain.net/128kbps.m3u -- Tuesdays, 6-8pm MST - Darkstar & Goreteks

Quote Originally Posted by mars.shosh1n View Post
    I can say with full humility that that was no troll. Yes, it probably looks goofy -- but much less so than me laying on the ground after a set from an aching back
    True story

I can see that working, I just couldn't keep a straight face when you went into the music jamming details.

Op, if you use the CDJ covers you've got your CDJs at the right height but your mixer will be in the valley between them. Either prop it up on some dictionaries or buy a proper table from Costco. They cost no more than $80 for a decent one