Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with cartridge and headshell

Problem with cartridge and headshell

I recently bought a shure m44g cartridge and tried to connect it to the technics headshell. The ends of the colored wires dont fit in the cartridges . The hole is too small for the plugs to fit in. Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

pic? that should help out... there should not be a reason it does not fit - thats the same setup i have

I got it. I used a knife to pry open the clips.

Thanks

ha np

Glad you got it sorted

I've had the same problem myself, and the opposite where the clips are too big for the pins (fixed with pliers)
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

don't want so start an new thread so i'm just posting here:

i have bought two shure m35x. the manual says the "classic" way to mount it, is to just put it straight to the back of the headshell and you're done.
    but i also got this technics overhang gauge and this cartridge alignment template which would result in a totally different position of the cartridge.

what would you recommend? is there a big difference in sound quality? what about record wear?

Why not trying both and see what it ends up sounding like. To me a record will always sound harsh when the cartridge is off. I would put it straight and lined up. It's always a compromise between tracking and sound quality.

yes, i already tried both ways. couldn't hear a real difference tbh
    mainly im confused by the description in the manual. i always thought you have to adjust the cartridge really precisely. just setting it to the end of the headshell sounds not really precise to me especially considering the technics have an overhang of 52mm, which is definitely not the case when the needle sits in the back of the headshell.

i think i will use the gauge and the template to set it right. record wear is the main concern to me. i don't scratch at all, so i try to use as less weight as possible on the tonarm.
    only thing is, it is pretty hard to see if it's aligned parallel to the lines on the template as the cartridge is quite short an hard to see under the headshell...

I have mine set just after the middle so the end of the shell matches (similar type of cart but different size), tone arm is parallel to the record so the cartridge and needle follow, and the weight set up a notch before you start to lose tracking/hearing distortion (this varies between different models of course). I've done that using a warped record so to include a little headroom.

Then I used to fix exotic turntables with weird weight setups, and I would do that by ear. The way it works is that you set it up outside of the sweet spot until you can detect distortion by ear. Then you go the other way round, do the same. Once you've done both ways, you just do the math and aim for the middle. Don't forget to minimise the antiskating if you're after minimal wear.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlNapp View Post
    i think i will use the gauge and the template to set it right. record wear is the main concern to me. i don't scratch at all, so i try to use as less weight as possible on the tonarm.
    only thing is, it is pretty hard to see if it's aligned parallel to the lines on the template as the cartridge is quite short an hard to see under the headshell...
    For best sound and less record wear, use the ovarhang gauge. Many of the recommendations you hear regarding Shure cartridges are based on setting them up for scratching, which is totally different to setting them up for listening.

Also rembember that less weight and tracking force doesn't equal less wear. It's like the tire pressure of your car, it should be set at the recommended value. If it's too low or too high things get wobbly and wear increases.