Thread: Thinking about trading in my Rane 61 (Z2)

Thinking about trading in my Rane 61 (Z2)

...for a Kontrol Z2. I played with it with 2 CDJ 2000's in Sam Ash today and I fell in love with the thing. I went in there to pick up a few minor things and I saw the Z2, I figured why not try it, I think I spent 30-45 if not more DJing in there (had the staff pretty impressed too). When I saw pictures of it I was worried because it looked like it was made of plastic and very toyish but it actually felt very heavy and professionally built, nice feel. I loved the faders, they felt near perfect in use for the way I like to use them and the buttons were very responsive. When I started with it the buttons weren't responding at all for some reason and I was really confused but then I realized the sync feature was on, once I shut that off all was great. I am seriously considering a full on replacement of my 61 (was planning on replacing it soon with something less simple anyways).

I am still wary because I can't run video with traktor but I may map it to Serato video for those occasional gigs where I do video, since I still have an SL1. Anyone have experience with mapping it in Serato or with the mixer in general? Anyone looking for a 61? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Whitman View Post
    ...for a Kontrol Z2. I played with it with 2 CDJ 2000's in Sam Ash today and I fell in love with the thing. I went in there to pick up a few minor things and I saw the Z2, I figured why not try it, I think I spent 30-45 if not more DJing in there (had the staff pretty impressed too). When I saw pictures of it I was worried because it looked like it was made of plastic and very toyish but it actually felt very heavy and professionally built, nice feel. I loved the faders, they felt near perfect in use for the way I like to use them and the buttons were very responsive. When I started with it the buttons weren't responding at all for some reason and I was really confused but then I realized the sync feature was on, once I shut that off all was great. I am seriously considering a full on replacement of my 61 (was planning on replacing it soon with something less simple anyways).

I am still wary because I can't run video with traktor but I may map it to Serato video for those occasional gigs where I do video, since I still have an SL1. Anyone have experience with mapping it in Serato or with the mixer in general? Anyone looking for a 61? Haha
    I am fairly sure that you cannot midi map the faders in the Z2 I will check that out in the next couple of days. I started out on Serato but was kind of interested in the z2 when I saw it I Would rather be able to video mix cause thats what I do more often and I have to resort to using my 57 I'd maybe be willing to trade ya if it is not mappable I only use it for home use and hve never taken it out of my smoke free pet free home!!!! I'll let you know for sure when i check the fader

i can see why you' want to swap it, got my hands on both the 61 and Z2 on the weekend and i preferred the underdog, despite being a rane a serato fan boy.

bugger the video lol, people are there to drink and dance not watch the telly on mute!
    Rane Empath/Technics 1210mkII