Thread: Help me choose what to add to my current lighting set-up! (or lack thereof)

Help me choose what to add to my current lighting set-up! (or lack thereof)

Hi all,

I currently have a Chauvet Trident which I have mounted in the middle of my T-stand, and what would be equivalent to a Chauvet Colorstrip Mini (I think) mounted on the top of the T-stand. I have two old halogen effect lights either side of the Trident which I am getting rid of.

I have been tossing up what to add to my lighting set-up. My preference is to eventually set-up everything with DMX but for now just need something that will do it's thing while I do mine. I was thinking either two scanners, or two moving heads (either side of the Trident), or perhaps some further wash lighting as all I have is the color strip at the moment. Ease of set-up is also paramount to me as it currently takes me less than 10 minutes to set-up my lighting rig. Also, debating whether to use something other than the Trident as the centrepiece...

My gigs consist of 18th and 21st and other age birthday parties (usually younger, sometimes I do the odd 40th as well) and they are usually house parties with the occasional function centre thrown in.

Happy to hear suggestions! Budget wise am fairly open but keep in mind return on investment can be minimal at times, on a bad year I might only get 5-10 parties compared to 20-30 in a good year.
    Last edited by Rome_89; 11-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.

need a budget if ur looking at heads

It's hard to give you a budget as prices are very different here in Australia compared to the US...let's stick to scanners for now...

No recommendations?

chauvet LED 200 scanners or an equivalent

Ditto....scanners. Look for black Friday deals on the much brighter Chauvet 300's -vs- the 200's.

Thinking about this more, if you *aren't* using atmospherics (fog / haze) I might lean towards a couple rollers -vs- scanners because it looks like there's more going on without visible beams with rollers...IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome_89 View Post
    It's hard to give you a budget as prices are very different here in Australia compared to the US...let's stick to scanners for now...
    Doesn't Matter. Give us a popular Australian DJ/Lighting website, and a budget. What brands do you guys have over there as well? You mentioned Chauvet, anything else?

I would buy some more wash lighting first. A single Colorstrip is a bit lacking.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

Chauvet Cubix 2.0, brings a lot of bang for the buck