Thread: Stepping up my setup

Stepping up my setup

I've been djing for about six months with a numark mix track pro and some basic software on my mac. Mostly for myself and now for my friends at bigger and bigger parties, and I finally have the cash (about $700-$750) to upgrade my setup. I was thinking about adding traktor scratch A6, and two turntables and mixer to my assortment. Ideally I would like to begin learning how to scratch through getting these and also begin to really juggle more tracks at once. I'm wondering if me getting these things would allow me to use my digital library on the decks provided with traktor scratch A6. I've read through the software's info on native instruments and I'm wondering a few things.

1. I'm wondering about mixers and turntables I could use for this(the turntables will only be used for about a year before I'm able to get better ones), I'm also open to alternative software.

2. Would it be possible for me to have a setup that allows me to use my numark and these other decks at the same time? Right now I believe it's possible considering what I've read but I definitely would like some guidance here so I can make sure and make the best investment

3. Any thing else that would help me be able to accomplish this kind of setup up would be appreciated.
    Last edited by traita; 11-11-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: forgot some info

Take that $700 use it as a down for 2 Denon 3700's or 3900's or Pioneer CDJ 1000's or 850. You
    won't need anything else or yearn for something better because you already have it. Get a loan on a zero
    down for 14 months and pay it off until the zero percentage ends.

Thats what I did last October 2011
    when I purchased a hot tub. I now owe $250 on it and then it will be all mine!!!! In another words, stimulate the
    sad US economy and get some great equipment. I have two of the older Denon HS5500's and my eyes never
    wanders for anything better. Not knocking any other deck but the HS5500 is the only deck that gives you two
    outputs, meaning you can get away with just buying one. I like the fact I can use 4 channels on my mixer....Good luck
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 11-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.

BTW--Citbank offers that zero percentage for 14 months credit card (unless your credit is sh*t) Good luck

That sounds great but I don't have a steady job to keep that line of credit. I'm just a freshman in college.
    Last edited by traita; 11-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traita View Post
    Would it be possible for me to have a setup that allows me to use my numark and these other decks at the same time?
    THIS is the question: What gives you the most flexibility for now and the future? This is the traditional mixer versus controller-as-mixer question. IMHO, the biggest bang-for-the-buck is to buy a controller that you can use as a mixer. That way you can use the controller for small gigs and grow with adding on TTs or CDJs. There are a ton of controllers that address this need: NS6, N4, VMS, S4, MC6000 to name but a few.

If you're interested in buying a controller that can directly support a DVS (TTs/CDJs with TCV/TCCD respectively) without having to buy another interface, only the S4 can do that. The downside is that the S4 needs to run TP or TSP to be able to operate as a mixer.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I agree with KLH, I'd recommend getting a controller that you can hook things up that works as a mixer. Because I recently started to do some parties for friends and such with my Techincs 1200mk2s, and djm 707, plus all my Traktor stuff. The weight and space adds up quick. Plus coffins are huge. But if you get a controller that can be used as a mixer too, you can still have a mobile set up, that if you fell like you want to scratch or such, you can bring and hook up a turntable. Just a thought.
    Oh and as a side note if you do get turntables, I got a coffin for sale.