Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: What makes a mix good or bad to you?

  1. #11
    Member DJArmani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    1,058
    good track selection, good track length, a little technical but don't overdo it with the scratching etc. some unique track or mashup that doesn't really go correctly into the mix but is done like that purposely (ex: A trance mix but you manage to play 2-3 really good electro/tech house tracks and they are mixed good)
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. DJF Battle Record: 5-6
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

  2. #12
    Junior Member AYoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    85
    TRACK SELECTION!!

    Aside from technical aspects i really feel mixtapes should be a kind of journey. as in they should have an intro, a build up, a peak point, a breakdown, and a cool down. I feel that's what keeps me interested in listening to a mix. It's got to have some kind of flow or motion.

  3. #13
    i love me some tasteful cuts. knowing some things in the mix is cool but i like when i don't know a lot of it - esp when i;m into it. of course it's gotta be funky too.
    2013 Vancouver Red Bull Thre3style champ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | SOUNDCLOUD | INSTAGRAM

  4. #14
    VIP Member Finnish_Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles-ish
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bike View Post
    i love me some tasteful cuts. knowing some things in the mix is cool but i like when i don't know a lot of it - esp when i;m into it. of course it's gotta be funky too.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,136
    Good Mix:

    To me, by the time the mix has ended I like to feel like I have been out all night. So I guess I like my mixes to embody a whole evening (as far as peaks and down times go.). I like to have to re-listen to it because parts are so good and there's so many of those parts in the mix that I have to listen again. Basically I like to feel like I'm at a really good gig when I listen. It has to make me think "If I was at a night club and this was being played, I WOULD dance to it" because, it's really hard to get me to dance but when I do, I love it, and to me, if you can make me dance you're a great Dj.

    Track selection. Depends. I'm the same as Sigma in that I don't mind hearing a bunch of tracks I've heard a thousand times if they're being played or mixed differently. However, I don't like to hear a bunch of songs I have never heard if they are bad songs. I like setts that combine different musical elements and different music worlds together.

    Technique, well as long as its good. All expect is the best technique used at the right time. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be beat mixing because sometimes there are other techniques that can be used so long as their used tastefully. I don't like clashing beats and vocals and things like that. (Although sometimes if done right, overlapping vocals can work REALLY well).

    Effects and tricks, only where appropriate and in a tasteful fashion. I treat effects like a production tool and only try to apply enough to the song playing to make it sound like the effect being introduced is actually, part of the song. I just enjoy really creative mixes by and large. I love when I'm hearing a mix and don't know whats coming next and suddenly it's some great bomb and I love it but it might be rocking over a different beat, COMPLETELY different and it's changed the whole element of the song but it's still awsome.


    Bad Mixes

    Anything predictable. Anything thats, boring. Anything amateure. Anything that is just a bedroom knock out job with out art work and intros and outros etc. I get that we all do it in our bedrooms, but, I cant stand these 30 min mixes of just the newest shit and, it just starts with the first beat of the first song the volume fades in or something. Anything with a really boring groove. Even if its chill out stuff, I still want it to be, unbelievably awsome. For example, someone posted up the Royal Sapien mix recently and got me UNBELIEVABLY hooked because it was, so chilled and mild but, so well done. Through out the whole mix I was saying "wow".

    If I feel like I've just heard a DJs set, I hate it. Because, down here so many Dj's have to Dj for one hour, which is the length of a mix. (I like anything over 60 mins) anyways, if I feel like I've heard their set I just feel like "why would I go to see them play now?" where as if I feel like I've been listening to them ALL night in the space of an hour and am not so much bored of the mix, but, by the end I'm kinda going "wow.. That was intense", then i'll go see them play.

    Good Djs are hard to come by

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    over there
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStalk View Post
    I don't want to hear any noticeable transitions. Everything should be fluid, and tracks should overlap each other.
    Disagree completely. There's so many more ways to mix than an unnoticeable blend - it has its place but what bringing in a new bassline at just the right moment? Suddenly stopping one track? Little 2-beat cuts/teasers between records? The goal of DJing definitely isn't to make your blends hard to pick up on.

  7. #17
    VIP Member Adzm00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Disagree completely. There's so many more ways to mix than an unnoticeable blend - it has its place but what bringing in a new bassline at just the right moment? Suddenly stopping one track? Little 2-beat cuts/teasers between records? The goal of DJing definitely isn't to make your blends hard to pick up on.
    100% agree with you.

    Was just about to post that I disagree with JS, if anything you should be able to hear the mixing, and that mixing should be adding to the set.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

  8. #18
    Member Era 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kassel / Inside your speaker
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    The goal of DJing definitely isn't to make your blends hard to pick up on.
    with trance it is. it's mostly about track selection and blending. tech-trance is a different thing though. much more fun to mix since you can do a lot more to it.
    Last edited by Era 7; 11-12-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

  9. #19
    good mix:

    done by me

    bad mix:

    done by you







    seriously though i think there needs to be some clarification are we talking live or recorded. recorded i don't want too many goof ups, or for them to be too big.

    live anything goes, sometimes the messy mixes are the most fun. i am finding track selection to be of more importance, maybe that is because of my skills. live i really don't need a ton of tricks just a good flow and development within the mix. also like some variety different genres and music from different eras.

    right now as far as my mixes are concerned i am kinda liking that when i play other dj's show love, especially when they play a different style than what i am playing.
    Last edited by moyo wilde; 11-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.

  10. #20
    New Member spiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Detroit area
    Posts
    41
    Good track selection, directs the mood/energy level throughout the set, clean/interesting mixing.

    (talking about live mixing -- not premade mixtapes/ableton mixes)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •