Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best traktor controller: S4 vs 4TRAK

Best traktor controller: S4 vs 4TRAK

In your opinion, which traktor controller will come out on top?

My opinion:

Hardware-wise:
    The S4 has been out for some time now and is a perfect 1:1 physical representation of the software, every function in the software is represented on the controller. Even though it is full plastic build, it seems to be holding up so far..

The 4TRAK is coming out, offering superior build quality. Looks professional and less toy like than the S4. Numark has really stepped up theyre game with the NS7, V7, NS6, and now this. Looks like it is built like a tank.

Software-wise, theyre both traktor 2, but different versions?
    S4's 1:1 mapping seems ideal. If the S4 were built like the 4TRAK and had xlr outs, it may be the clear choice. Also, numark comes out with new things more frequently than NI, so a 4TRAK may become obsolete faster than the S4?

Bottom line.. The 4TRAK sacrifices some functionality in software in exchange for better more professional build quality.

My Choice: Undecided..
    Last edited by dirtydutch; 02-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Here are my two-cents.

Let's talk Numark. You mentioned that "Numark has really stepped up theyre game with the NS7, V7, NS6, and now this. Looks like it is built like a tank." IIRC, it was Serato that made them step up their game because of the tight integration with ITCH. Numark's recent products - from say the MixDeck forward - haven't had the same quality that the ITCH hardware has had. Maybe that's changing... and I hope that it does. High quality products - meaning high long-term reliability and durability - are always welcomed by DJs...

Let's talk reality. Shipping > "coming out soon." The S4 has proven itself - assuming that your computer works with it. (Basically, all high-performance DJ apps need to have this assumption stated.) 'Nuff said.

Let's talk 4TRAK and make the assumptions that everything else works well. From what I see, the 4TRAK is a Traktor version of the NS6 plus a revamped NSFX unit added on:

4TRAK:

NS6:

When looking at them like this, the NI version seems to be an inverted color version of the NS6, don't 'cha think?

That's not bad per se, but the 4TRAK doesn't really add anything that the S4 can't already do. While I suppose that you can argue about the "real mixer" of the 4TRAK over the audio-interface approach of the S4, but at-the-end, does it really matter? I personally don't think so... but I'll give the 4TRAK a point for that.

Let's say that you really want to get jiggy and you want to use Traktor's deck C and D for samples. The S4 has you covered. Where are the sample controls on the 4TRAK? Oh, snap! There aren't any... So let's give the S4 a point.

Let's talk software. The S4 has the FULL Traktor Pro v2.0. 4TRAK has Traktor Pro 4TRAK Edition (*cough* sound like Traktor LE *cough*). If you want what the S4 already gives you, you'll need to upgrade. In case you're keeping score, that's another point for the S4.

Does the 4TRAK allow Traktor Scratch to be used? If not, that'd be another point for the S4... but let's continue.

Here's the most important aspect of the S4 versus the 4TRAK: Price. The S4 is generally $900 new. The 4TRAK is $1000... but then if you want the "real" version of Traktor Pro, you'll need to upgrade, which is usually $200. That makes the 4TRAK $1200!!!

Even IF I'm wrong about needing to upgrade to TP, the 4TRAK is STILL more than the S4 and gives you less functionality!

So what's the final score? 1 for 4Trak and 500 for the S4. Maybe I'm slightly off, but you get the point.

If you want to read more about the 4TRAK, check out the spectacular Skratchworx.

-KLH
    Last edited by KLH; 02-16-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Forgot the final score.

I would never buy an all-in-one controller as my A-rig (considering a really cheap one for house parties the next time it comes up). But the S2 and S4 win hands down based on what I've seen and felt. The only "problem" with them is if the jog wheels aren't good enough for how you want to play, and if that's the case…it's only a few hundred more to go DVS.

I was gonna make a new thread for the new Reloop controllers coming out (see front page), but since we are already in comparison-mode I'd throw the Terminal Mix 4 into it as well. It looks like Reloop wants to up their game and compete with NI and others for the Hi-End controller market.
    I've never owned Reloop equipment and people seemed generally displeased with the quality from the Jockey 2, buttons especially and some on the other hand swear on the Jockey 3.
    If I recall correctly the Terminal Mix 4 is $599, so it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the S4/4Trak/MC6000. However you get what you pay for as the saying goes and cheap equipment is usually just that - cheap, so it lacks in one way or the other. So I wonder can it stand up to the S4, the 4Trak and the MC6000?

The s4 does not come with full traktor pro 2, it comes wih traktor pro s4. You also have to upgrade to full tp2. And im sure both versions of the software only differ by whag controls are physically on the controller. Both are attempting to be 1:1 hardware/software solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by bheinz63 View Post
    The s4 does not come with full traktor pro 2, it comes wih traktor pro s4. You also have to upgrade to full tp2. And im sure both versions of the software only differ by whag controls are physically on the controller. Both are attempting to be 1:1 hardware/software solutions.
    the old ones, like mine, came with the s4 software, which entitled you to a free upgrade download. the new ones ship with tp2.
    jasoncerna.com | boogieburg | twitter @jasoncerna | instagram @jasoncerna

Quote Originally Posted by bheinz63 View Post
    Yes it does.

Yep, that's what I read on NI's website ... http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...-s4/?page=1745
    "Even self-perception and the sense of time were changed. When the eyes were closed, colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope. What had caused this condition?" -- Albert Hofmann -- Laboratory Notes (1943)

The vestax vci400 looks better than both

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    The vestax vci400 looks better than both
    VCI-400 Ean Golden Edition from DJTT is a competitor.... I personally have an S4 with a custom skin and am liking it so far, had it for a few months now. I don't like Numark as a brand, the name just screams "amateur" to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I would literally throw everyone that's under 18 under a bus.