Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making promo's and mixes for the public

Quote Originally Posted by ben mills View Post
    I use Traktor Scratch 2.0 with a Kontrol X1. The X1 is completely native to Traktor, so absolutely no mapping or compatibility issues for me.

I have never set a beat grid in my life. If you're manually mixing, there's no need for...so you can throw that concern away.

I'm like you - basic mixing with two decks. Traktor would be perfect for you. I don't get fancy with loops...just use them to extend my mixes on both ends and to time breaks, double drops, etc., to add another level to the mixing.

Perfect... makes sense. Of course I'd be manual so I guess that works perfectly.

It would be a great addition to your set up.
    Ah, so you haven't upgraded to 2.5? The CV issues with 2.5 is what put me off Traktor.

As for the X1, I guess I did know that it was native. I guess is didn't remember what I was told exactly... I think it was just that mapping the X1 to Serato isn't difficult (without comparing it to Traktor).

So, I guess where I am at now is that it seems Serato platform is pretty stable in terms of upgrading whereas Traktor seems to have issues. Do you know if 2.5 CV issues have been resolved?
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by DJArmani View Post
    Bad is bringing in the song a little later to me, cutting vocals the 'basketball sound' on certain transitions (simply when my beatmatching is off), or mixing out too quick.
    Gotcha... I think you need to ease up on yourself in some senses. You should be trying to get the song in when you want, but if it doesn't work out then its not the end of the world and most people won't notice so long as it is still phrased correctly and the EQ blends are good. Totally do this a lot... I'll be making a mix, a buddy calls and I miss the spot where I like to start the next track... I just have to wait till the next phrase but other than that, its like any other mix.

The cutting vocals - can you give an example?

Yep... the basketball sound is a beatmatching issue (if I understand what you mean). You'll tighten that up with practice... are you on wax or CDJs?

same here along with letting the song play too long and not being able to mix in until the next break
    Sometimes waiting for the next break is a good thing... tracks with a longer phrase can make that an inevitability.

I like to bring in the next track as soon as I can, but I don't try to force the issue unless I'm screwing around and trying new things.

You will be able to get it running fine, I'm sure. For you I am convinced Traktor is the better answer

Quote Originally Posted by ben mills View Post
    You will be able to get it running fine, I'm sure. For you I am convinced Traktor is the better answer
    Cheers. I posted in digital DJ forum and am hearing that there really isn't an issue.

Will pull trigger soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post

The cutting vocals - can you give an example?

I mean like when I'm doing hip hop for example and I wanna cut into the next track I'll cut after a hook but the first word of the verse would come in quickly , making a "cut" sound.
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

thanks for the reply, I would do studio mixes but this is mainly so people know what I can do live. I'm really picky when it comes to my mixes and any little mess up and I start over, I always want quality in my mixes
    Same here dude xD Though I have two ways of approaching live mixes. Either I just mix and deal with my mistakes so that I learn how to adapt and overcome. The other style that I use is to do as you say. Perform until I make a mistake. When I do, I do it over.
    Though in the long run, you gotta learn that mistakes will be made and that you can't always restart.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Veaux View Post
    Though in the long run, you gotta learn that mistakes will be made and that you can't always restart.
    Live in 1 try, warts and all, don't even run it through a DAW. Just do what you do and it is what it is. If you don't like it, then keep practicing. If you do like it, then keep practicing.

I do my mixes in one take - I get my new tunes together, add a few classics and record. I don't post edit or anything. My style is pretty easy; it's all about track selection, and as long as it sounds smooth, I post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Totally do this a lot... I'll be making a mix, a buddy calls and I miss the spot where I like to start the next track... I just have to wait till the next phrase but other than that, its like any other mix.

my friends constantly text "Answer your phone!"

Quote Originally Posted by aaron altar View Post
    Live in 1 try, warts and all, don't even run it through a DAW. Just do what you do and it is what it is. If you don't like it, then keep practicing. If you do like it, then keep practicing.

Whats a DAW?