Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for a mobile dj company name

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_EventPro View Post
    Alot of people on here joke about names- especially "DJ names" (and rightfully so) but in my opinion- your company name is one (of many) of the most important factors when starting a business.

It's the first thing a client (that otherwise doesn't know you from anyone else) sees. It's like a first impression, and it sets the tone for the type of company you will become.

You have to ask yourself how you want to be viewed. Where do you want your company to go? Do you want a personal, small-ish feel, or do you have aspiration to grow into a big machine?

For instance, I chose "Event Pro Live" for my company name for three main reasons:

1. It pretty clearly states what industry we are affiliated with. Events, Pro (either level of experience or some people interpret this as production, and Live- we deal with live events. Pretty straightforward.

2. It sounds corporate. I had aspiration of growing my company into a larger entity than a mobile DJ service, so I chose a name that I felt could grow and give off that impression. It worked.
    If you look at the "big dogs" in the event production industry, many of them do not have names that play off words, or have that hometown feel. 4 Wall, Event Tech, Event EQ, or in the DJ/Production world- Boom Entertainment comes to mind.

3. Its different. Its not "standard" It has kind of a cool ring to it. It sounds like we're kinda "badass" and it sounds like we know what we're doing. I personally think we are/do all those things, but the name conveys that and because its slightly different than something more standard (*XYZ Entertainment or XYZ Productions)- it helps us stand out.

Your company image will help decide the direction of your company. Choose it wisely.
    This is one of the main reasons I'm having trouble deciding. I'm not trying to start a large company. It's mostly going to be me so its going to have more personal feel to it. I main want to do weddings, school dances, birthday parties and corporate parties.

Nonsense does't sound professional at all for the events I'm trying to do so that name is staying in the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by JPelli73 View Post
    ^^ Second vote here for "Lone Star Jones" DJ's- that has a nice ring to it.

Pelli
    Sounds good but if something happened and I ended up moving back to California that name wouldn't work

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nonsense View Post
    This is one of the main reasons I'm having trouble deciding. I'm not trying to start a large company. It's mostly going to be me so its going to have more personal feel to it. I main want to do weddings, school dances, birthday parties and corporate parties.
    Knowing whether you want to start a large company or small company doesn't make selecting the perfect name any easier- it just makes the path more clear.

To be honest with you, it doesn't sound like you need a name, it sounds like you need a business plan. The name is just one part of the branding strategy. A business with a formal business plan is far more likely to succeed statistically than one without a plan. Basically, the goal is to make as few reactionary decisions as possible. You'll want to lay out every possible thing that could happen, and how you would handle it if it does. And, you'll want to revise your plan annually to make sure you are on course, or actively altering your course.

I know I'm going way deeper than what your post originally asks, but it seems necessary. If you notice how easily I laid out why I picked the name I did, its because I answered a TON of important questions before even thinking about a name.

What kind of business am I in? What products/services am I going to offer initially? Are they all I'm going to offer, or am I open to changing? IF I change, what other services would I offer first? What do I want to offer 5 years from now? What are my core competencies? What is my target demographic? Is that the demographic that would most likely buy what I'm offering? Do they have the financial means to support me (by the numbers) with just the product list I'm proposing? If not, when do I project to be in the black? What if the market is not how I measured? (in your case) Do I move back to California? Do I make adjustments in Texas? At what point do I make that decision? What kind of company culture and brand do I want to create? (seems like you have that picked) Does that resonate with my target market, and is that the best approach? Is there room in the market for me? Am I filling a niche? What makes me Different/better than my competitors? What Dis-advantages will I have to overcome? What are my goals for this business? (Money, time, enjoyment, etc.)

That's just a START, but if you answer those questions you'll know exactly who you need to target, how that fits in line with YOU, and how to approach your branding to create the most effective brand possible that fits with your targeted client and falls in line with your personal style. You're on the right track with the thinking that one name might be better suited for the clubs, while another might lock you into Texas, etc etc. Paint yourself a CLEAR picture, and the choice of names (one of the hundreds of aspects you'll have to consider) has just narrowed itself for you. You'll know now that you want to stay in Texas, and you're going to give yourself 5 years, and if it doesn't work, you'll move back to California, but you're not worried about a generic branding because you think you'll have a better chance of success branding for the Texas market and if you move back to CA you'll dissolve and re-brand in CA. (That is all just an example) You NEED to think about all this stuff. I'm not lecturing, I'm just sharing some of my experience and trying to help you make the best decision for you.

Those questions set me up for Event Pro Live as the production brand. It set me up to create a second entity Event Pro SHOP for sales, and I have plans to start other Event Pro brands as well. It's what led me to decide on "BLAST!" for my school division. I took what I knew about my business and my target market, and branded appropriately- but the whole time I had in mind that the plan was to launch a collection of entities, not just one. Do what's right for YOU, but put the thought in now, and set yourself up for success later.

Knowing what I read just from the thread...

I don't like Nonsense. Seems amateur. With your stated goals, I like Lone Star. Its geographically personal. If you move back to CA, who cares? You're not keeping any of the same clientele anyway. You can change the name. I dont like Lone Star Jones though. Too cheese-ball for my taste. I'd prefer something like Lone Star Events or Lone Star Entertainment or Lone Star Productions. You'll be known as, and referred to as just Lone Star. You don't want to give off the vibe of being too "cowboy" with the Jones at the end, and just "Lone Star" sounds more authoritative. I'm not saying that the BEST solution for you, but it is my favorite of the options presented.

Good Luck!
    Nick Pignetti
    EVENT PRODUCTION: web | e-mail
    EQUIPMENT SALES: edjstore e-mail

Nick, you my friend may have some rep.
    I won't deal with "bargain shoppers." If a customer calls me and thinks he/she can whittle down my price because DJ RectalSquirt is offering to DJ for $100 for the night, then he/she and DJ RectalSquirt probably deserve one another. -Badger