Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First time playing in a club (without preparation).

Would just like to add, the OP benefited from multiple angles to make this a "success."
    a) low expectations from the venue
    b) arranging for, and showing up early for a crash course
    c) taking the advice of having a DJ friend there to watch over and kibitz
    d) obviously some talent and ability to think on his feet.
    e) and possibly, a crowd that cared more about the programming than the mixing which is probably more true than talented DJ's would like to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

I've noticed that as long as you play tracks that make people dance then they don't wont really care if you can beatmatch or not, just fading in and out is good enough for them. And that's because they're probably drunk and just want to dance. So unfortunatley you don't need to know shit to be a DJ.

It's good he did fine. Wasn't looking to see him fail. I thought it was a troll post but might be legit. Again most of the negative comments including mine were more on the line of wtf were you thinking doing this without practice?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Austin GoGreen View Post
    There is a sync button on all cdj's.
    Did I miss some sort of joke here?
    2x CDJ 2000, 1x CDJ 900, 2x Technics 1200 M3D/Shure M44-7, Denon DN-X1500, 5" KRK Rokit G2, Polk PSW10, Sennheiser HD 25 II straight cable, 64 gig Crucial C300.

Quote Originally Posted by streetspirit View Post
    I've noticed that as long as you play tracks that make people dance then they don't wont really care if you can beatmatch or not, just fading in and out is good enough for them. And that's because they're probably drunk and just want to dance. So unfortunatley you don't need to know shit to be a DJ.
    I think you highlighted a point there that nowadays , particularly in commercial music track selection is more important than mixing. It always has been

A good song will generate a lot of excitement on the dancefloor , but so will a great mix!
    It will enhance the tunes

A truely good dj is more than the sum of his tunes

And people do notice . Its a hard thing to gauge because people might still have a good time on track selection alone but If the dj knows how to DJ, they will have a better time and this results in more people at the bar /club IMO

Anyway seriously , call me an extremist if you want but anybody who can't beatmatch the music that's going around nowadays ( which is mostly almost exact same Bpm and clearly made to be beatmatched) perhaps shouldn't be working with music
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 11-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Connor.. It was Sarcasm

OP, go f'n jump off a cliff. You're a disgrace to the community. Hopefully the bar you work for goes under. I agree with what a lot of people here have said about not having to mix 100% of the night and that programming is more important. BUT I guarantee a guy like me who has paid dues for years, studied crowds for the same amount of time, and put in thousands of hours of work to get where I'm at would walk into your bar and shut it the f down, and out perform this OP wankster on my worst night.
    Last edited by Austin GoGreen; 11-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Did I miss some sort of joke here?
    The new ones do
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.