Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fake" DJing?

"Fake" DJing?

I saw Adventure Club live last night, and there was something that was a little perplexing...

he would regularly step away from his equipment to rev up the crowd and whatnot (around crucial drops and transitions), and he seemed to not be doing too much actual work on the mix

there was also a guy in the soundbooth with a mixer, an mpc, and some other controls. i watched our anonymous person for a good bit, and he was definitely cranking the mixer and tapping away on the pads in beat with the mix.

... do people 'fake' DJing? I'm not going to go as far as to say he didn't PRODUCE the music, but I get this feeling that he was not doing the mixing.

Am I looking too far into this?

Unfortunately it is very common these days for live sets to be "pre-recorded". There are many examples on youtube showing acts who's entire dj table has folded over and collapsed ... yet the beat goes on.
    At the club I work at I've seen DJ's build their crowd, then lose it and their name over the whole ordeal. Other DJ's love to rat out cheats, the hate spreads and the whole scene loses in the end.It seems however once said DJ has the momentum of fame behind them, they seem to be able to do anything and get away with it.

Milli Vanilli 1
    Integretity 0

Short answer: Yes, people do fake DJing. There's really nothing stopping me from walking in with a fully pre-mixed and pre-recorded set.

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/8...y-Events/page2

This was a big buzz a few years back, regarding Mistabishi:

He pretended to do a DJ set whilst playing a pre recorded mix.
    ### Can you find the level of difficulty in this? ###
    Archives: http://jointsubcommittee.com
    Live: http://jungletrain.net/128kbps.m3u -- Tuesdays, 6-8pm MST - Darkstar & Goreteks

man I have been hearing more and more about this, esp as celebs jump on the bandwagon of DJing. I will never, ever rock a pre-recorded set ever! Just not fair to those who came to listen.
    DJ Ph3nom
    www.djph3.com
    MacBook Pro - Algoriddim DJay software

Yeah they do, and it's pretty lame. I don't care what gear you're using, just do something with it.
    2 x CDJ 850 | DJM 900nxs | Traktor Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53 headphones | Xone K2 | Traktor X1 | Traktor F1

its just so much funner rocking a real DJ set...

Banned
    I think it's entirely fair provided that the recording has been pre recorded specifically for that show and is to never be used again. At a small club, no, it's just, ridiculous. But, how many RADIO shows have ever been pre recorded? Mixing at home is easier than mixing on a big system and so, sometimes pre-recording it is a means to an end of keeping the quality of your mixing. Or at least PRE-PLANNING your mix! ... To me, the problem about pre-recording a mix isn't about 'faking it'. That I don't care about, but, what worries me is that if it is pre-recorded the Dj loses the ability to improvise. Having lost that ability, he then loses the ability to react to circumstances and so, yeah it could be a GREAT pre-recorded mix. But, something might happen. Something BIZZARE! .. (Just making up random shit now), but, someone mighttttt, for example start doing something crazy, or some crazy dance, and as a Dj you might know you have an awsome remix of like, Safety dance or something whacky and zany that fits in perfectly to the event and whilst it's not going to create some superstar momment, it will add a different context and vibe to evening.

I think when you reach a standard and become famous for it, you have to constantly perform at that standard. One bad night, an off beat mix etc will probably sink you, but, it happens to us all. I just think it's a safety net for insecure DJ's. But if thats what they need, let them have it. I've caught fakers before and embarassed them infront of their crowds. It happens. Think of the bigger picture, always. Good Djs will last longer than their career.

Banned
    Fake DJing is bullshit. Nobody here should be co-signing it. DJs have already got enough help with auto-sync, auto-levels, auto-this and auto-that, but they still can't managed to pull a live set out of the bag? Fuck off.