Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should LED Scanners be Run in Sound Active or DMX

Should LED Scanners be Run in Sound Active or DMX

I have a pair of American DJ Inno Scans , and when I put these in Sound Active mode I notice they almost seem to be moving too fast , so fast that it is even hard to see the GOBO . Now If I hook them up with my DMX control I can build scenes to have them moving is different spots of the room . So I can set it up where the GOBO is in one spot for like 30 seconds or more . Now I have figured out that if I turn off the Sound active mode , and put the show mode on I can have the gobo changing and moving all around the room slowly . Just wondering how you guys setup and what works best for you that are using scanners .

[I moved this thread to the Lighting forum to get more appropriate responses.

-KLH]
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I used to do sound active and noticed the same thing as you with my scanners. I now run everything in DMX and have made a slow show and a fast show.

You can get a controller that has a built in sound active mode to make it easy to switch in between them. I personally prefer using all my own scenes.
    Lighting Designer/Special Effects: Grand MA, Martin, Le Maitre, ReeleFX, Fire One Pyrotechnics
    As for you Mystic. YOU ARE A FUCKEN MORON. -Fueledbymusic

So say you make the scenes and you have a gobo hitting in one spot for 30 seconds , how do you make it so the light moves slowly to the other scene , what mine is doing is soon as it finishes the scene it moves so fast to the other wall you cannot see it moving . Is there some kind of speed to slow it down between scenes
    Last edited by pumpitdj; 10-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.

My Chauvet 300's have a similiar problem as the ADJs - either too fast or too slow in sound active. It's not the movements that suck - but simply the speed and pace. I spent some $$$ getting some nice gobos from apollo and in fast mode they are too rapid to notice. This is cool for some dance sequences but gets on your nerves after awhile, so I have the scanners split between two always fast ones on the outside and four slow ones on the inside running the nicer gobos and color wheel disabled.

Since it seems everybody complains about the same thing regarding these same scanners and speed complaints I assume Chauvet and ADJ either have no control over this, don't care, or want you to spend extra for scene programming. Unfortunately I don't have time for the later.

I run everything in DMX. I never use sound mode (unless I can program it via DMX as a setting).

Now, the next question is how do I program them. I have software that has macros built in for scanners and head. This is a function of the controller more than the fixture. I have the ability to program circle, box, star, figure 8, sine, arch, loops, and more. This means the lights keep moving in this pattern and then I can control the gobo, color, focus, prism, etc individually. The software also gives me the ability to control the size, speed, and orientation of the pattern movement. I am not sure what your DMX controller is but you may want to look for a better controller if you are not able to do those with your. Your other option, is to program a series of scenes/cues where the light goes to one spot, then program another scene/cue to have the light move to another spot (repeat) and then program them into a chase.

I just purchased the MY DMX 2.0 so i am learning as I go

I use mydmx 2.0 and I must say, it is shit! No 3d visualizer and major stability issues! Mydmx 1.0 was much better and more stable (and had a visualizer). Apparently they are coming out with an update that will add the 3d visualizer and fix stability problems.

Pumpitdj, I'm no expert with mydmx but maybe pm me some of your questions and I can try to help. In addition, mydmx has a forums page where u can ask the "experts".

I noticed they need a major update , and hopefully soon , or I will be selling this . The last Update was in Aug , but they still have a long way to go . Think someone needs to step up on this !