Thread: Fairly big mobile gig - inexperienced mobile DJ

Fairly big mobile gig - inexperienced mobile DJ

Hi All,

Just registered on here after lurking for a few weeks and I can tell the knowledge in this mobile section will be of great benefit to someone like me.
    I've been DJing for years and know what I am doing in bars/clubs but have just started doing mobile work after a successful free gig at a mates wedding.

I've had a few paid mobile gigs since (with mixed success) but most were fairly small and I managed well equipment wise. Thing is, I have a wedding coming up in a few months and it's for 220 guests and in a marquee (not asked about dimensions yet).

Can anyone give me any advice about minimum equipment requirements in terms of speakers/lighting? And also general speaker positioning tips? I know the sound will have to be pretty big for that many people but I am also worried that because its in marquee the sound will be worse.

I own a pair of Mackie SRM-450 V2's. These have been fine so far but I know they probably won't cut it on their own at this gig. I have enquired about renting a single Mackie 18" sub to go with the tops and I can dry hire one cheaply. Will this be enough and how should I position everything?

Showing my inexperience, I agreed a price before checking the number of guests and room dimensions so I can't really afford to rent too much extra (if I need it). I obviously want to make sure the sound is good enough for the gig but this also has to be balanced with not spending a fortune renting extra gear.

Cheers in advance!

You can work with pair of Mackie SRM-450 V2 I would suggest you to add a sub to the set up. Either purchase or rent it. Most of the time we do party for 250-300 people with pair of JBL PRX speakers and Sub. Since you don't have cash to invest, I would suggest go get a Sub and that should be enough for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Scotch View Post
    You can work with pair of Mackie SRM-450 V2 I would suggest you to add a sub to the set up. Either purchase or rent it. Most of the time we do party for 250-300 people with pair of JBL PRX speakers and Sub. Since you don't have cash to invest, I would suggest go get a Sub and that should be enough for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!
    Nice one mate, yeah I can rent one Sub for 25 so will do that, Cheers!

Yeah I think you'll be fine with the 2 Mackie's and renting the sub. We've got 2 mackie's and we're renting 2 subs for a 300-person event.

In the states you can rent lighting too - but I wouldn't go with anything too complicated - just a disco-ball type for slow dancing, a couple of scanners or lasers or something.
    - jj -

You mentioned you were In a marquee, what's the power supply for the venue going to be like? Is it completely outdoor Running off a generator?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyj View Post
    Yeah I think you'll be fine with the 2 Mackie's and renting the sub. We've got 2 mackie's and we're renting 2 subs for a 300-person event.

In the states you can rent lighting too - but I wouldn't go with anything too complicated - just a disco-ball type for slow dancing, a couple of scanners or lasers or something.
    Cheers for the response, this makes me feel more relaxed! Yes I am also renting some lights, a couple of Martin MX-1's and a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by windspeed36 View Post
    You mentioned you were In a marquee, what's the power supply for the venue going to be like? Is it completely outdoor Running off a generator?
    I still need to enquire about this. I'm pretty sure the marquee will be adjoined to the main building so should be ok power wise - but will check properly, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Soccio View Post
    I still need to enquire about this. I'm pretty sure the marquee will be adjoined to the main building so should be ok power wise - but will check properly, cheers!
    At any rate, having 2x 13a outlets will be all you need, that's 6.2KW available to your rig.... Since your line voltage is +/-5% of 230 volts at 50Hz +/- 0.01Hz

Here in the USA, to get 6KW, we'd have to run at least a 30A 120/240 volt 3 wire grounded single phase drop to a distro.
    Been in this CRAZY art since 2003, Deep in the 719!
    Check out BPMPROCOLO online at: www.bpmproductionsofcolorado.com