Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to record some vocals but have zero knowledge on mics

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Condenser is the better/safer route to take if you want a quality recording.
    In most cases, I agree with this statement for recordings.

To the OP:
    Overall, if the mic will be solely used for recording purposes, a condenser mic will be a better investment. However, if the mic is needed for recording and live situations, a dynamic mic is the way to go, in my opinion.

Something to consider with a condenser mic - if you don't have a very, very quiet space, a good condenser will pick up extraneous noise - your air conditioner, your heater, your dog, your roommate, your girlfriend hanging out in the other room, your upstairs neighbors, your downstairs neighbors, your neighbor's kids... I live in an apartment building, and unless I'm recording something really loud (my fiancee's impressive soprano voice, her guitarist's absurdly loud guitar) the background noise can be an issue. Dynamic mics like the SM 58 and Beta58 have admirable outside noise rejection.

Also, I'm kind of assuming you're a dude because most of the people on here are dudes - the 58s lose a little bit of that high end shine on female vocals, but if you're a dude, that isn't such an issue.

Pop filters are a must.

fuck! that was a lot of awesome feed back! my brain is full, and i'll definitely have to go back through and re-read all this stuff but yeah, I mainly just want to record vocals but will also use this mic when I DJ.
    I am still torn between the 57 and 58 because for now, I will only be using for vocals but who knows when I might use it to record other things...
    Consensus is that 57 is an overall better mic but 58 is better for vocals...I'm leaning towards the 57 as of now.

You'll be fine with either, I'm sure.

If you're going to be dragging this mic into volatile, crazyass situations like DJing, you're much better off with a dynamic than a condenser. Condensers can be a bit delicate compared to the SM58/57 workhorses.

Quote Originally Posted by TBA View Post
    fuck! that was a lot of awesome feed back! my brain is full, and i'll definitely have to go back through and re-read all this stuff but yeah, I mainly just want to record vocals but will also use this mic when I DJ.
    I am still torn between the 57 and 58 because for now, I will only be using for vocals but who knows when I might use it to record other things...
    Consensus is that 57 is an overall better mic but 58 is better for vocals...I'm leaning towards the 57 as of now.
    they sound pretty much the same. Get a 57.