Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Extension Cord (brand/specs/size) for Mobile usage?

Great explanation fellas! I will definitely look into acquiring a quality extension. Too be sure, when I go into a store to ask for the proper item (specs etc.), what should I ask for,

1. SOOW,or, SOW, along with my desired length, and color?

Is this correct?

Just go top Lowes and get the 12 guage or 10 cables with the lights on the end so you know if the power its out. These are industrial grade and all I use.

For my big amp racks.

Quote Originally Posted by VjQue View Post
    Just go top Lowes and get the 12 guage or 10 cables with the lights on the end so you know if the power its out. These are industrial grade and all I use.

For my big amp racks.
    And if they aren't SO, SOW, or SOOW and you get inspected you'll be shut down. "Industrial Grade" isn't in the NEC - the specific types of cables are.

The reason not to use SJ is that it's not legal to use.

This is the law in the United States, PDF Page 24, Article Page 21. Article Section 520.68

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/necstyleman03.pdf

520.68. Conductors for Portables.
    (a) Conductor Type.
    (1) General. Flexible conductors, including cable extensions, used to supply portable stage equipment shall be listed extra-hard usage cords or cables.

(4) Breakouts. Listed, hard usage (junior hard service) cords shall be permitted in breakout assemblies where all of the following conditions are met:
    a. The cords are utilized to connect between a single multiple connector containing two or more branch circuits and multiple two-pole, 3-wire connectors.
    b. The longest cord in the breakout assembly does not exceed 20 ft (6.1 m).
    c. The breakout assembly is protected from physical damage by attachment over its entire length to a pipe, truss, tower, scaffold, or other substantial support structure.
    d. All branch circuits feeding the breakout assembly are protected by overcurrent devices rated at not over 20 amperes.

b. Conductor Ampacity. The ampacity of conductors shall be as given in Section 400-5, except multiconductor listed extra-hard usage portable cords, that are not in direct contact with equipment containing heat-producing elements, shall be permitted to have their ampacity determined by Table 520-44. Maximum load current in any conductor shall not exceed the values in Table 520-44.
    Exception: Where alternate conductors are allowed in Section 520-68(a)(3), Exception Nos. 2 and 3, their ampacity shall be as given in the appropriate table in this Code for the types of conductors employed.

That is the law, whether you choose to follow it is up to you.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Agree with SockoPro. NEC is pretty clear about Hard Service cable being the required cable for places of assembly, theaters, and "performances". The Code intent is assuming the wires will be laying on the ground, being walked on, driven on, etc...

So I always use SOOW for my "service" cables... But little wires that run from your power block to individual components under your table are up for interpretation... SJOOW is probably okay in those cases.

Of course, if you are getting inspected, better safe than sorry. Any Code official can totally be a dick and shut you down.

Will you be inspected? You never know! But it is highly UNLIKELY for a wedding or kid's birthday party... If you are doing a large school dance it is a little MORE likely... If you are doing a large public performance it is HIGHLY likely.

Don't take a chance... Any wire running visibly exposed on the floor needs to be SOOW.

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    Not even close. Here's a 100' length to which one would add connectors. You can buy the connectors at any hardware store.
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...FRRynAodbjIAbw
    I recently bought replacement connectors that would be appropriate for this, the pair for under $10. They just screw on.
    I reviewed the listing above regarding the proper specs and recommended DJ extension wiring.(SOOW etc.) The listing above has a 'ampacity' of '30' and the cost is $159.99 for 100ft. I also reviewed other listings on the global industrial site recommended above of similar SOOW wiring, but the 'ampacity' is listed at 13 for 59.95 for 100ft, (more in my budget). Is there a big difference in using the 30 'ampacity' versus the 13 'ampacity'?

My current rig consist of 2 powered QSC KW 153's and 2 LS 801ps, and 6 slim par 64 lights, 4 40w moving heads. I will soon add a few KW stage monitors, and possibly 2 more subs for larger venus. I average about 4 to 6 hours of work at each event.

You need to run 2 feeds to separate circuits for that set up. So unless you're tapping a 30 amp feed at the breaker you will need 2 wires.

If you're tapping a 30-ampere feed, it's better idea to use a small distro box with a 4-wire feeder cable assembly.
    Been in this CRAZY art since 2003, Deep in the 719!
    Check out BPMPROCOLO online at: www.bpmproductionsofcolorado.com

I'll let someone with more electrical knowledge answer that about the lower ampacity rated cable. I think 13 is too low especially over that distance, but I'm not versed enough to give you a quantified answer as to what is the minimum you should consider. As Sween alluded to, it depends on what amperage outputs you're dealing with. Another thing to consider is that once you go above 15 amp service, the connectors change. You can plug a 15 amp standard edison connector into a 20 amp - 115 volt service assuming it has the right receptacle, but not a 30 amp service. If you're plugging into 30 amp I believe you need a distro which isn't cheap.

I should point out that the reason for black cables is the visual factor. Orange is tacky LOL. Also, I'm a bit of a hypocrit here since I don't have any SOOW cable yet. I do use the "industrial grade" cords found at the Home Depot but they are all 12 or 10 guage. I bought before I knew better and have plans on upgrading as soon as I can. I actually think the Global Industrial link I supplied is a great price for 100 feet of SOOW and the only thing that would prevent me from buying that particular item would be shipping. I'll be looking local too at electrical supply houses.

Keep in mind a lot depends on how long your cables are. Even if you can get by with thinner cable, if you're running the full 100' as one cable, you need to worry about voltage drop. For your tops, the effect would be minimal, but for the subs, I would think 12 gauge is the absolute minimum and would prefer 10 gauge. Google "voltage drop chart" to get a better idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Stay away from the 30 amp 10/3, It is useless to pay for a heavier cable gauge when you are only plugging it into standard wall outlets which are 20 amps max.

What you need is 12/3 soow, the ampacity is 20 amps @ 100 feet. Never ever go smaller (up in gauge for example 12 gauge to 16 gauge) as you find that cable becomes useless as you get more equipment and then you have to worry about voltage drop.

I buy my cables on eBay as they are the cheapest. Home Depot and Lowes also carry 12/3 soow. You buy the raw cable then install the ends.

When you buy your cord the plug end is a 5266C.

When you buy your cord cap end (female receptacle) the end is 5369C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=12/3%2...d=401353926592
    Last edited by SockoPro; 10-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.