Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brands: What to Stay Away From, What To Consider

I know I'm asking far too much here, but a 2 sentence description of each company would be very helpful.

I noticed you listed Allen & Heath who only sell mixers, not counting a couple of complementary products like a recording unit, but don't list other DJ mixer companies. Since this is the amp/speaker section perhaps A&H shouldn't be listed? I understand Soundcraft because they have some powered mixers, but I don't believe A&H have any powered mixers.

Also might want to add Radio Shack to the avoid category. (unless something thinks they should be "Lower End" I could go either way.)

Also, what about production monitors? Genelec, Tannoy, KRK for instance
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    I know I'm asking far too much here, but a 2 sentence description of each company would be very helpful.
    We could do that - it might mean a really long post though (not sure if there is even enough room), and it could become more subjective. What would you like to see from the short description?

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    I noticed you listed Allen & Heath who only sell mixers, not counting a couple of complementary products like a recording unit, but don't list other DJ mixer companies. Since this is the amp/speaker section perhaps A&H shouldn't be listed? I understand Soundcraft because they have some powered mixers, but I don't believe A&H have any powered mixers.

Also might want to add Radio Shack to the avoid category. (unless something thinks they should be "Lower End" I could go either way.)

Also, what about production monitors? Genelec, Tannoy, KRK for instance
    A&H was listed for their live sound mixers (GL/GLD, iLive etc...), but yeah they are one of the only companies listed that also makes DJ-specific tools. They do make powered mixers with their "PA" series.
    Any other opinions on their removal or staying-put?

I will add Radioshack to avoid list unless there is objection.

In terms of studio/recording gear that would open a whole new door of companies outside of live sound - maybe better for another thread? There is a production/recording specific section of the forums, maybe there?
    Last edited by ksmalk08; 10-18-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    "If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death" - Don Davis (SynAudCon)

Quote Originally Posted by ksmalk08 View Post
    A&H was listed for their live sound mixers (GL/GLD, iLive etc...), but yeah they are one of the only companies listed that also makes DJ-specific tools. They do make powered mixers with their "PA" series.
    I think that makes them eligible. I was aware of the PA line of mixers, but not that there were powered versions. There are quite a few DJ's that employ some sort of desk mixer in conjunction with their DJ mixer to handle other inputs. I find it very interesting that I've never seen a powered DJ mixer. I wouldn't want one (or any powered mixer for that matter) but I can see some might.

In terms of studio/recording gear that would open a whole new door of companies outside of live sound - maybe better for another thread? There is a production/recording specific section of the forums, maybe there?
    Yeah, I'd vote for another sticky thread for that.
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

I think you got it in the right category but some of those older Gemini mixers were built like tanks. Audiophile no but reliable yeah. Maybe not so much these days though.

Quote Originally Posted by lburners View Post
    I think you got it in the right category but some of those older Gemini mixers were built like tanks. Audiophile no but reliable yeah. Maybe not so much these days though.
    What he said. I have an all-analog Gemini mixer that has been in my possession since 1987 and still works fine! I have a hard time believing that any gear I've bought in the last couple of years will still be functional 26 years from now :-)

Pelli

The system in my garage (Gemini PMX-25 mixer, Crown D-75 amp, Sansui S2000-U speakers & an old Dell netbook running virtual DJ) has been rocking a Gemini mixer for close to 20 years now with no fader bleed or noisy pots to be found. I wouldn't in good conscience recommend a Gemini mixer to someone but I will say I have had good luck with my old Gemini mixer as well as my old original Peavey CS-400 amp.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

I have heard that older Gemini were built better. How much older, I'm not sure. It is very rare I hear anyone saying the current offerings are very reliable. The last time someone did, his posts indicated he was likely a bit of a troll... and I'm putting that mildly. Some here may remember him -- the guy who claimed his uncle I believe was the President of Gemini and that Gemini speakers could smoke JBL SRX's. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    I have heard that older Gemini were built better. How much older, I'm not sure. It is very rare I hear anyone saying the current offerings are very reliable. The last time someone did, his posts indicated he was likely a bit of a troll... and I'm putting that mildly. Some here may remember him -- the guy who claimed his uncle I believe was the President of Gemini and that Gemini speakers could smoke JBL SRX's. LOL
    Yeah, I remember him but he had nothing on the guy trying to power his speakers from his VCR (who remembers those??)...
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Yeah, I remember him but he had nothing on the guy trying to power his speakers from his VCR (who remembers those??)...
    Haha yep I remember that guy

As a budget brand goes, Gemini hasn't been the worst. I think they've been one of the more honest cheap-ass brands, in terms of delivering a fair value for the money, especially the mixers. At least their stuff didn't fall apart like Behringer, and they've certainly been better than Gem Sound, Pyle etc. The PS series mixers were more or less a rite of passage for a whole generation of DJ's. The KL wasn't too awful, and the UMX's were actually pretty good. Speakers and amps on the other hand...