Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCS.4DJ vs CDJ vs Turntable

SCS.4DJ vs CDJ vs Turntable

I'm sorry if this is a noob thread; moderators feel free to lock/move/delete as you see fit.

I've been looking at making my first purchase of equipment. Being young and broke, here are my three options:

--2 Stanton T.52's, a cheap-ish mixer, and a DVS
    pros: I like the idea of learning on a turntable; I can replace individual components if something breaks; with some good CL and eBay watching, I can get the tables for under $150 and a mixer for around $80
    cons: DVS can/will make it cost more than a good controller; I won't have a capable laptop for a few months so I won't be able to start playing immediately; bulkier and heavier than a controller

--Stanton SCS.4DJ
    pros: excellent controller, no laptop necessary, iPod and external drive friendly, compact, quite possibly the cheapest option, I think resale value might be pretty good if I find that this isn't for me
    cons:little things like no gain controls on the mixer, analyzing songs take quite a bit of time

--2 Denon DN-S1000, cheap-ish mixer, DVS is a maybe
    pros: MP3 compatible, inexpensive, cd player, no laptop required but the controller is more beginner friendly,
    cons: bulkier than controller, I think I prefer the TT setup over this

It also seems that the controller and cdjs are more mix-friendly, given the on-board cue buttons/cue points, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just need opinions and suggestions.

Thanks

I would say either the CDJs or Turntables would be better. Try to step up to T.62s though....either way, learning on a system that doesn't have any screens is essential for training your brain to DJ 'right'.

When you're starting out, don't get a DVS. Vinyl is hard to learn on, but it's worth it. Not only do you only grab music that you REALLY do love (because you wouldn't buy it otherwise) but you'll also get the skills to DJ on any other equipment. Where as if you chose CDJ or Controller, it would be harder to transition to turntables if you ever wanted/needed to.

I started out on vinyl...I was alright at beatmatching (It would take me a couple of minutes max, 30seconds minimal)....but after going through controllers and DVS I think I average 2 minutes for a by-ear beat match.

In the end, the more I practice with vinyl, the better I get with Serato.

Thanks. My living situation (dorm) kind of means I have to keep it compact, though. Do you think the turntables will create an issue or are they small enough. Also, what is the major difference between the T.62 (what I originally wanted) and the T.52?

I know I'll get music that I actually want/like, but I also kinda need to add a little more volume to my music library. Would it be ok if I got the DVS, but "forced" myself to ignore the screen while watching? I won't have a screen to look at for the next few months, but having a DVS allows me to mix all the Top40/music I don't care about that I can get my hands on

T.52 = Belt Drive. Good for listening/recording vinyl. BAAAAAAAD for DJing (especially if you want to scratch at any point).
    T.62 = Direct Drive. Meaning there is a magnetic motor that spins the platter. These 62's aren't the greatest, but they aren't bad either.

If you wanted to get a DVS because you have no other choice, either Serato or Traktor would be fine. There are settings to make it so you don't see any waveforms.

At the same time, CDJs are compact and still offer you the chance to learn beatmatching by ear better (IE, put tape over the BPM).

What is a cartridge when talking about tables?

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    What is a cartridge when talking about tables?
    It allows you to attach the stylus (needle) to the tonearm.

lol bless

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    --2 Denon DN-S1000, cheap-ish mixer, DVS is a maybe
    pros: MP3 compatible, inexpensive, cd player, no laptop required but the controller is more beginner friendly,
    cons: bulkier than controller, I think I prefer the TT setup over this
    Those CD players are trash, if you are going to buy any cd player make it pioneer. Pioneer CDJ200 are available for decent prices, you can even find them brand new for respectable prices. There is nothing worse than buying garbage and then realizing it after the money is spent. DJ'ing is not a cheap adventure even for the most basics setups, if you wanna play you have to pay.

Alright, I took a few minutes, priced out different things, and the controller is the most economical when all is said and doen. Why do I always choose the expensive hobbies ?
    Anyway, price is really my determining factor. I understand that beat-matching by ear is essential, but I can just not look at waveforms/bpm and ignore the auto-sync tool. When I feel competent enough, I'll use them as convenient tools.

Thanks for the help though

Edit: I could be wrong in this assumption, so if you disagree, let me know why, etc

Save up and get the turntable setup with serato, it will be worth it in the long run as it will force you to learn the basics and develop your DJ skills quicker than a controller/software combo.