Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusion on Ortofon concorde selections

Quote Originally Posted by antFastic View Post
    For DVS and scratching the M44-7 performs better than the Pro S, it holds the groove better with less weight and has higher output.

The only thing I do prefer about the Ortofon is that it's easier to see the stylus position, but the styli are more expensive to replace and require more weight.
    thanks for the advice ! rep
    DJ please... pick up your phone... I'm on the request line, line, line, line.....

It's a late reply but I finally got the turntables setup, was building a small stand for everything in the room.

So starting off, I had the M447's set up as the following, height 1, anti-skate 0, weight 3, cartridge was in the middle of the headshell. I downloaded the Shure M447 PDF setup sheet and found some tips, plus from this thread.

Changed the cartridge from the middle to all the way back (towards the tonearm). Now it's tracking much much better, I tested this with 2 oz of weight but from the PDF, recommend 3 oz, and it tracked much better at 3. I didn't make any adjustments to the height, but I did add a slightly thicker slipmat, for mixing to cut down on the platter noise. The tonearm was as level as possible, before I was only using a butterrug which I think was slightly leaning down too much.

I did find some skipping but it was on a scratch record and the phrase that it skipped was worn. Tracking had no issues on newer records.

Still like the Ortofons better to view the needle, but these M447's work great for my needs and are much cheaper.