Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: When are you no longer a rookie DJ?

@ sss18734, wait you haven't had sex or you haven't played out?

cause i think it is a really good set of analogies and funny to boot.

i think that it is an important part, along with the others i have listed.

it is all opinion. i have mine and others will have theirs, but if someone tells me they are a dj, and they aren't/haven't played anywhere i kinda go ok. if they say i dj then that is better in my opinion again opinion. not gonna change as other guys won't change theirs. i see where you are coming from sig, but i just don't really agree. it is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I'm not. I'm saying it's irrelevant. I'm just responding to you guys who say it doesn't matter how amazing you are at anything else - if you haven't played to a crowd, you're just a rookie. It's fucking bollocks and I will say that as many times as it takes for you to understand it. LOL.
    i think the point is, that if one is amazing at DJing, then oviously is not a rookie. but who decides if a DJ is amazing ? himself or the public? :-)

i have met many a DJ who seem to think they are amazing despite constant complaints from the crowd.
    In fact the hallmark of shit DJs is not knowing they are shit. so i see the approval of the public is a sort of confirmation that one is doing it right.

interestingly , some DJs who have plenty of talent often lack the drive to get out there, hustle and get gigs, while other talentless DJs excel in this area thus bringing down peoples expectations of a DJ further and further. the pubic are the ones who lose in this situation IMO

so if there are any non rookie DJs reading who are NOT playing out.. please by all means! get out there and make a contribution, let us hear :-)
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 10-07-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    but until you've played to an audience, it's all theory. I can practice singing in the house & think I'm good, but until I've done it in front of an audience, I wouldn't consider myself a singer.
    A singer is one who "sings". Whether they ever sing in front of an audience or not. A DJ is one who "djs". whether its for a crowd of thousands or an audience of one (yourself). A lot of people forget that they themselves are also considered an audience even if they are alone. The bedroom DJ often plays for the hardest and easiest crowd to please. Hard, because we can be our own worst critics. Easy, because we should already know our audience. When playin in front of a crowd you don't have the benefit of the inside track. You, instead have to watch their reactions and respond accordingly. I don't think that you can set a point at which you can definitively say that you are no longer a rookie dj. I believe that its more of a process than a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by moyo wilde View Post
    @ sss18734, wait you haven't had sex or you haven't played out?
    huh? I just said your analogy was terrible.