Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hygro - Sunkissed on the Glade (a work I am VERY excited to share).

Hygro - Sunkissed on the Glade (a work I am VERY excited to share).

As I get better at producing, it's getting increasingly rare I make a track that meets my own quality standards. This is my first finished one in over half a year.

It sounds really cool, what genre is it meant to be? I like the part at 2:00!

I don't think I've listened to Progressive Hygro before.
    Im diggin the static-y part around the 3 minute mark.

Is that the sound of timecode vinyl at 4:30?
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
    As I get better at producing, it's getting increasingly rare I make a track that meets my own quality standards. This is my first finished one in over half a year.

Transition at 2:00 wasn't so good. Melodies are pretty good though. Maybe solve that and you have yourself a decent track!
    Check out my June 2012 Mix! http://soundcloud.com/dj-maxed-1/june-2012-mix

@Oscar, thanks!! I dunno, I'd put it into my progressive sets. Don't really care though.

@Fresh Jay, gracias! that was the part that allowed me to finish the track. Before that it was a 2:30 clip I couldn't finish. Had a 10% download rate though, so I knew I was onto something.

@DJNR same sound as all the other volume spikes. It's just the reverb on the harp.

@Max, That's my favorite part so there's nothing to solve. Thanks though! Try it in another frame of mind, it's that you lost in a softer breakdown just chillen, when bam, transported to the middle of a dancefloor like you've been there the whole time. Got the whole housey open hat just goin', when back to the breakdown, back to the outside looking at the skies, lying there next to someone playing with each others hair, but it slips into another groove.

Gotcha. I really dig the track. In my opinion, the volume spikes are a little much, but if you like them, great!
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

Listened twice once through my ns10s, then through my adam a7's + sub. Great tune, nice melody. Loved the sound of the main synth that played throughout most of the song, To me that feedback sound gets a little bit too high pitched for me, I do have bright monitors though, a little high cut couldnt hurt, also I think some longer, spacier reverb and delay on the feed back would do wonders, especially at the 2:00 minute mark, it cuts off really quick. Dont get me wrong I like that transition, I just reckon if that feedback tailed off it would/could sound better. The hats afterwards sound a tad sterile but thats just me nitpicking maybe some more varied velocities would help, There's a great humanize feature in logic under the frunction>transfrom tab in the piano roll. I use it all the times on drums to loosen the feel, sometimes it does wonders, other times it stuffs up the groove so make sure you have the undo button ready, or maybe some more layered percussion sounds would help instead?

Overall... fantastic work, best I've heard from you yet, keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback, yo!

@DJNR, they are definitely intentional. They are also definitely the only complaint. When I cut them I lost what I liked about them, but I also know they are on the limit, at least. I'd like to test it in a club environment to see if they do their job or if they are just too much.

@Elliottt, double listen, woooot! And best work? Awesome Anyway, I'm keeping the cut at the 2 min--I actually automated the volume of the feedback/reverb down to zero to cut right into it. Maybe I need a bigger "hit" on that drop to signify it. That said, I'm trying to avoid "drops" per say. Also, I agree there could be longer and spacier delays on the feedback. Currently the feedback is created by the specific reverb setting I put on it. It was a total (happy) accident. To keep that but enhance it would require some automation that I might consider now that you suggested that very bit that was bugging me.

Tell me more about the humanize feature. I've tried using it a few times and all it does is bug out on me. I'd love to work something like that.

No Worries man. I'd still give that feedback sound a slight high cut though on my system it sounds a bit shrill and harsh.

The humanize feature is a preset for the transform window, a powerful tool for manipulating midi data. Basically it changes the note position, note length and note velocity by + or - a random value from 0 to 10.

copy and pasted from the manual;
    "Adds a random value to the position, velocity, and length of selected note events. This preset is useful on rhythmic parts, such as clavinet or piano accompaniments, and drum and percussion regions (or events). It can add life to strictly quantized material, or notes that were manually entered"

just select the notes you would like edited in the piano roll, then go to function > transform > humanize... the transform window will appear, if you dont want any of values changed (position, length or velocity) then change the number below the parameter to zero (it's defaulted to 10) if you would like more variance for each parameter then increase the number (however I normally just press the operate button several times for a greater humanize affect.

click operate or select and operate (which selects all the notes in a region and applies the process)

Hope this helps.