Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Danley TH118 or Orbit Shifter X 2

Danley TH118 or Orbit Shifter X 2

It's taken me a while to get to this point, but I am finally ready for the order! The two finalists are the same:

Danley TH118 & the JTR Orbit Shifter

The only difference is after cost and shipping I think I could probably swing buying 2 of the OS's. If I went with the 118 it would be only for one. Yes, the two OS's would set me back a little more...but no way I have enough budget right now for two 118's.

Spring for two OS's or stick with Danley quality and upgrade later?

Both are great options, the Danley in a one on one comparison to the Orbit Shifter wins but as you have found the value to performance win goes to the Orbit Shifter. Either way you will not be disappointed since they both are worlds above the average level of subs on the market.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

How about two to one comparison? Will the coupling of two OS's go as low as the 118?
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Both are great options, the Danley in a one on one comparison to the Orbit Shifter wins but as you have found the value to performance win goes to the Orbit Shifter. Either way you will not be disappointed since they both are worlds above the average level of subs on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    It's taken me a while to get to this point, but I am finally ready for the order! The two finalists are the same:

Danley TH118 & the JTR Orbit Shifter

The only difference is after cost and shipping I think I could probably swing buying 2 of the OS's. If I went with the 118 it would be only for one. Yes, the two OS's would set me back a little more...but no way I have enough budget right now for two 118's.

Spring for two OS's or stick with Danley quality and upgrade later?
    Wise choices... you're definitely in the elite end of quality, sound and output with these sub choices. There are many respectable dual-18" subs out there that can't do what these single-18" units do. Who's your Danley / Oribit Shifter dealers?
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 08-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

I have gotten multiple quotes on the Danley's and I'm dealing with Jeff for the OS's.

There is not as much of a price difference as I anticipated, but the cost of two 118's is about $1000 more than I can get two OS's for.

Quote Originally Posted by GaFFLe View Post
    Wise choices... you're definitely in the elite end of quality, sound and output with these sub choices. There are many respectable dual-18" subs out there that can't do what these single-18" units do. Who's your Danley / Oribit Shifter dealers?

The dealer margins use to be much higher on the TH-118's. They are more flexible now. What kind of amps will you choose for either sub?
    Raising the bar...

Oh yeah....I have to power these suckers now

To begin with I might be a little light, especially if I only have a single 118 or OS. I have a QSC RMX2450 I will run in Bridged Mono. I have access to another RMX2450, so I could run each OS with an amp in bridged mono.

Thinking about getting a QSC PL380. Looks like a good amp for running doubles of these monsters.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by GaFFLe View Post
    The dealer margins use to be much higher on the TH-118's. They are more flexible now. What kind of amps will you choose for either sub?

I was just going to ask what amps...i'm sure you will want to upgrade taht RMX2450 once you realize how much power these guys can easily handle.

I can't speak for the OS but for my TH-118's I run a Crown MA12000i and on the third TH-118, I run a bridged-mono EV CP3000s (saving for the 2nd MA12000i).

I hear that the QSC PL380 is great, especially at a low ohm load. I use to have a PL325 running bridged-mono on a single TH-115 sub; it hammered! The TH-118 is 1700 watts RMS and it is a 4-ohm load. You should consider a PL380 or Crown I-Tech 8000 (if
    you don't mind a used amp). I'd lean towards the I-Tech 8000 because if its built-in DSP + RMS and Peak limiting capability. If your money permits, the Crown MA9000i works too.
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 08-29-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Raising the bar...

The PL380 is definitely fantastic. I have a friend driving THREE lab12's per side on one. Yes, that's a 1 ohm load.
    I drive either two or four double-18's or double 15's on mine (4 or 2 ohms per side) with great results. But I don't push it with 4 subs because I've got just an Edison plug on there. If I were to run it balls to the wall I'd def want a 30 amp plug.

That said, if you really want an amp capable of 3800W RMS into 4 (the program rating of the TH118) it is prob a lot more cost effective to bridge an amp into each sub. I'm not suire that it's really necessary or wise to do that.