Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Skrillex wins 3 Grammys

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyUK View Post
    See below, also who owns these MP3 stores and who is ultimately making money out of it? Not the artists in most cases, also who REALLY buys MP3's and what real intrinsic value do they have?

There is no real difference in what the two do anymore, they just plug in their laptop and the software does the rest. A producer doesn't make music in real time, how can you reproduce that live? A DJ defectively does/do that, he has a 6 minute track say and 6 minutes to play it live, the DJ was the medium between the producer and his audience, once upon a time the producers sat in their studios/bedrooms making music, the DJ's played it, the punters went out and bought the records.
    I duno.. I think there is a real difference between what the two. I've been spinning for 6 years now and only started producing basic tracks in the last year. There are LOT's of DJ's that are not producers. When the media says "hey DJ Skrillex is getting a grammy" the country bumpkins down the street think "DJ? Like at the strip club or my sisters wedding?"

I agree and disagree with producers not being able to do it live. What I do when I DJ and what DJ Enferno does are completely different.

But I agree that most producers perform their tracks by DJing. Some just spin two decks and some do more. Although I have seen Glitch Mob, BT and Pendulum perform their tracks with a "band" (well, without tables).
    Live on Faderwave.com 600 to 800 pm Thursdays!
    Original Drum and Bass on Soundcloud --- Mixcloud Drum and Bass, House, Trance and More

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyUK View Post
    A producer doesn't make music in real time, how can you reproduce that live? A DJ defectively does/do that, he has a 6 minute track say and 6 minutes to play it live, the DJ was the medium between the producer and his audience, once upon a time the producers sat in their studios/bedrooms making music, the DJ's played it, the punters went out and bought the records.

Sure there has been live p.a., but for the most part the DJ was the "live" performance of electronic music. That's the way I have always looked at it, and the same reason why I don't care at all about hearing DJs mix, or even play, non electronic music. Save that stuff for the bands.
    Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Interracial Tea View Post
    Tell that to Tiesto.
    tiesto can hardly be called a DJ, he sucks at mixing. hes almost as big a joke as David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post

Sure there has been live p.a., but for the most part the DJ was the "live" performance of electronic music. That's the way I have always looked at it, and the same reason why I don't care at all about hearing DJs mix, or even play, non electronic music. Save that stuff for the bands.
    I sort of get this point of view. With that said however, the few shows I have been to, is primarily for the atmosphere. The places I've lived in have never had the type of nightclubs that large cities like L.A, Miami, London, etc. have. So when a big name came to town, it was always a new experience. I've made it out to a few shows here and there and I usually don't care about small train wrecks the DJs make here and there.

It seems like some people are complete pros here the way they bash other DJs.

With that said, I agree with the poster above that Tiesto is indeed a very average DJ. I've watched a number of the DVDs he has put out and watching it sober definitely shows the mediocrity. I'd still love to see him live one day though.

^ Did you quote the correct post?

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post
    ^ Did you quote the correct post?
    I think I did. I may have misinterpreted some of what you said though. Hmm.

The whole post wasn't a response to just your post though.

Quote Originally Posted by silentsounds View Post
    I think I did. I may have misinterpreted some of what you said though. Hmm.
    Yeah, man. I have no idea what you are talking about or how it relates to my post at all.