Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "You're the Flower Girl, so what?"

Smile "You're the Flower Girl, so what?"

Yesterday's wedding had an adorably cute Flower Girl, I nearly caved into her request to play Justin Bieber, but then I remembered my Prime Directive (No Cheese) and I politely said "NO".

I also declined her request to play the latest Taylor Swift song (the one about her breakup with John Mayer).

Weddings are supposed to be about Joyous Celebration of the union of two individuals sharing their lives together. Breakup songs are not appropriate.
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

Ouch, that's a bit harsh. I agree with the Taylor Swift song and breakup songs in general, but seeing as how she was the flower girl, I would've played a Bieber song and dedicated it to her on the mic. Even if that's the one cheesy song you play all night, you've made a little girl happy for the night. I'm sure the crowd would've loved it and danced with her.

I recently played a request by the 5-year old ringbearer and gave him a shout out on the mic and all the guests cheered and danced with him. His parents thanked me afterwards, as they were leaving for the night and they said it made his day.

I'm all about the no cheese, but one song for a kid (especially one who played a role in the wedding) isn't going to ruin anyone's night.

I agree I try to go out of my way to drop something for the little part of a wedding party.... More often than not it ends up being an awesome photo moment with the flower girl/ring bearer dancing with a whole crowd of ppl...

I would have definately played a bieber song for the little girl and announced it on the mic.
    average wedding reception is 4 hours, average song is 4 minutes....thats roughly 60 songs, 1 bieber tune wouldn't have hurt.

I would have played one as well...if I thought it was necessary to explain WHY I'm playing it, there's always a way. I had one a while ago where I had already played a song, and (I think it was the niece of the bride) asked to hear Moves Like Jagger....I simply announced that she missed it the first time around...now everyone get her up to dance to her favorite song! It's a bit of interactive dancing when the relatives got her up to dance to it. They had fun with about 10 people and her up dancing to it. I think the family generaly really appreciates that kind of stuff.

What makes the Bieber cheesy?

I'd be interested in seeing a sample ''no cheese'' wedding play list. I'm not so sure that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMC View Post

Yesterday's wedding had an adorably cute Flower Girl, I nearly caved into her request to play Justin Bieber, but then I remembered my Prime Directive (No Cheese) and I politely said "NO".

I also declined her request to play the latest Taylor Swift song (the one about her breakup with John Mayer).

Weddings are supposed to be about Joyous Celebration of the union of two individuals sharing their lives together. Breakup songs are not appropriate.

Wow... ummm... wow. Sometimes I am blown away by some of the things you post here. This may be the only wedding this little girl is a flower girl for and you couldn't play one simple song for her. I'm 100% sure if the Bride knew the little girl wanted to hear Bieber, she would have been more than happy with it. Sounds like you are making your gigs more about what you want than what the guests or couple want.
    Last edited by RodneyL; 08-27-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Would of most definitely played JB for her. Also would of got her name and announced that it was a special request going out to her, the flower girl...

Agree with above... throw the girl a frickin bone. I played the "Hamster Dance" song for my Flower Girl the other day and everyone went along with it and the look on her face was priceless... she was probably about 5 years old too.

"No Cheese" is such a limiting marketing ploy... I'd rather focus around what people want to hear. If they want cheese, I'll play cheese. If they don't want it, I won't play it. That simple. I think "No Cheese whatsoever" cuts out a good 25-50% of the population.

Don't get me wrong... I HATE playing it. But it's not about what I want... it's not MY wedding.

THE BRIDE TOLD ME NOT TO PLAY ANY BIEBER! Period -- end of story.

Note also she was NOT a bridezilla -- she caved in for Line Dances and the one Dubstep song for the Groom and his homies from the Fraternity.....
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings