Thread: Problem with External HDD and CDJ recognition!

Problem with External HDD and CDJ recognition!

Hello,

So I just bought a Lacie Rugged 1 tb External drive (usb powered) to keep my songs and use for the CDJ 850s. Problem is...the CDJ don't recognize it!

Did I make a mistake? I really want to use a large External drive that can withstand bass and some abuse (hence the reason I went with the rugged by lacie). What should I do?

Patrick

Double check that it's formatted FAT32 or OSX Journaled, The decks cannot read NTFS drives

Ok. I just read that FAT32 is more prone to corruption. That's the last thing I want to happen as my primary external drives store my playlists for live performances. Is there a way that I can use my usb powered Lacie 1TB hard-drives for my CDJ 850's?

Quote Originally Posted by Suprarick View Post
    Ok. I just read that FAT32 is more prone to corruption. That's the last thing I want to happen as my primary external drives store my playlists for live performances. Is there a way that I can use my usb powered Lacie 1TB hard-drives for my CDJ 850's?
    I have been using a Fat32 drive daily for the past year and it hasn't failed me. I don't think there's much to worry about. If you were worried about a drive becoming corrupted, you would know that Lacie is not a good choice. They are prone to failures. I have had one of the Rugged ones fail on me.

Things I would recommend:
    1) If you are going to stick with the Lacie, format it in OSX as Journaled. If you have a Windows machine that you use, format it as Fat32.
    2) If you don't care about the Lacie necessarily (and you plan on playing out), I would just get smaller USB sticks. They are flash storage, so you don't have to worry about dropping them, and they are smaller.
    3) If you're okay with ditching the Lacie, I would get a solid state external. That way, if you take your drive to a club, you aren't affected by the stage rattling because of subs, movement, etc.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

Thank you. I'll look up how to get it Journaled. I will probably just use thumb drives, any recommendations as to what brand for reliability? I know that question is going off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Suprarick View Post
    Hello,

So I just bought a Lacie Rugged 1 tb External drive (usb powered) to keep my songs and use for the CDJ 850s. Problem is...the CDJ don't recognize it!

Did I make a mistake? I really want to use a large External drive that can withstand bass and some abuse (hence the reason I went with the rugged by lacie). What should I do?

Patrick
    So the problem was with a format. First of all you have to format your hdd to fat32, but also convert disk to MBR partition table format. I’ve used Minitool software