Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could improve one area of you game.....

If you could improve one area of you game.....

Where would it be?

Mine scratching- I tend to cover up my minimal skills with a lot of FX during live sets.
    FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MARKETING NEEDS VISIT HTTP://WWW.RAXONRAX.COM

scratching
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

Scratching also.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

As of late: track selection. Been having a hard time finding that groove.
    Quote Originally Posted by tails View Post
    I do a pretty lazy job wiping my ass if I know I'm about to shower though.

Banned
    Motivation.

I used to love DJing (actually doing it myself I mean - I still love it generally speaking) and I'd practice often and for long periods of time. I haven't used my decks for about 4 months now and I pretty much never get the urge to turn them on. This has been going on for a few years and as such, I'm no better than I was in say, 2007. Other DJs I know have come on in leaps and bounds technically speaking, simply because they still have that drive and practice a lot.

If I had my love for DJing back, then everything else would improve over time as I practice.

scratching most def.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Motivation.

I used to love DJing (actually doing it myself I mean - I still love it generally speaking) and I'd practice often and for long periods of time. I haven't used my decks for about 4 months now and I pretty much never get the urge to turn them on. This has been going on for a few years and as such, I'm no better than I was in say, 2007. Other DJs I know have come on in leaps and bounds technically speaking, simply because they still have that drive and practice a lot.

If I had my love for DJing back, then everything else would improve over time as I practice.
    So what is the cause for your lack of motivation? Just curios...
    FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MARKETING NEEDS VISIT HTTP://WWW.RAXONRAX.COM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ NGAGE View Post
    So what is the cause for your lack of motivation? Just curios...
    I'm not 100% sure man, but I think it's a few things: -

1. I'm 42, so maybe it's partly an age thing. I have several real life friends that are/were DJs (all hobbyists like me, not well known DJs or anything) and most of them have either given it up or they just DJ occasionally now.

2. The local scene has changed a lot here in the last few years. When I was gigging, I could play music I liked to crowds that were digging it. I'm pretty much stuck in the past when it comes to music now and I know that the sort of stuff I play would no longer go down as well, plus local venues have changed hands, shut down etc.

3. With scratching in particular, I used to practice that loads, but then I hit a plateaux (at a pretty low level compared to the DJs that are around now) where I was no longer noticing any improvement.

For the last few years all I've done is put out a mixtape from time to time, but I always put loads of effort into making fairly complex multitracked studio mixes which has perhaps backed me into a corner as when I make a new mix I want to make it better than the last one (or at least as good) and that's a time consuming and often frustrating process. I'm too much of a perfectionist, when I should just chill out more and perhaps make some more simple live mixes - but even knowing that, I can't change, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I'm not 100% sure man, but I think it's a few things: -

I'm too much of a perfectionist, when I should just chill out more and perhaps make some more simple live mixes - but even knowing that, I can't change, haha.
    I'm a perfectionist also, but I read somewhere a simple tip to this : leave some dirt in your projects. I realized whenever it's something really tiny I get pissed and try to perfect it and make it worse. That's how I am with mixes I put up on the internet. So I go alont with that saying and I'm way more relaxed and so much better. Now if it's a really bad transition or an awkward cut then of course I'm gonna redo it.
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee