Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New computer...what's best?

New computer...what's best?

I currently have a dell Inspiron with a pentium processor, and it just cannot handle vdj anymore. What's a solid computer that's pretty powerful for djing and normal messing around with after effects, etc? Should I just go with a Mac? I see a lot of DJ's with macs. Also, what's your rig? My Budget's under $1k if possible. Thanks
    DJ Hoss
    Quote Originally Posted by JuxtaPoser View Post
    Red LEDs = SUPER AWESOME MODE: ENGAGED
    Make it work!!!!

Macbook Pro 13inch would probably be good. If having good performance in after effects is really important you might want to go with a 15 so you can get that discrete graphics. Also, any Macbook made in the last three years would be able to run virtual dj no problem. pentium processors are sooo old brahh

Agreed with LiteTrix. Get a Macbook for a couple of reasons:

1. I have never had Serato or Torq crash on me EVER....Not sure which dvs you use....but I remember back in my PC days, I've had dvs crash on me 3+ times during gigs....annoying.
    2. I have a MBP with a core2 duo and frequently use Photoshop and InDesign. Now thats not saying that After Effects will work just as good, but I have a hunch you won't have an issue with it.
    3. Macs are a lot more durable. I've seen macs that were dropped and the entire frame bent....the computer ran just as fine....although it looked like shit. Now think of a pc with plastic casing....that would have been the end of that laptop.

I've been negged before for recommending macs (yes, people do take it THAT personal), but I've never had an issue with my mac, whereas with my PC, I never had a solid gig with no issues.

MBP. I need more characters

MBP! you wont regret it!

MacBook Pro! Check your local Craigslist for good deals.
    2 Technics M5G | 2 Technics MK2 | Shure M44-7 | 2 Rane TTM-57 | Pioneer EFX-500 | 15" MacBook Pro
    On-Air Mixer at KZON Live 101.5 PHX

First question you need to ask yourself what screen size do you need?

I'd prefer to have at least a 15" screen, but on my budget I know that ain't happening unless I find a super deal. I guess I'll find a used 13" to start off with thanks guys
    DJ Hoss
    Quote Originally Posted by JuxtaPoser View Post
    Red LEDs = SUPER AWESOME MODE: ENGAGED
    Make it work!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJHoss View Post
    I'd prefer to have at least a 15" screen, but on my budget I know that ain't happening unless I find a super deal. I guess I'll find a used 13" to start off with thanks guys
    eBay has deals once in awhile too, check that out
    Untz untz untz.

Asus makes really good laptops. They will likely be my next.