Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCRATCHHEADS: Which technique are you currently working on?!

tears are giving me a lot of trouble.... can't do drops and tears together... so I'm working on that around 90bpm
    Technics 1200 MK2 - Rane TTM57SL - MBP 15.4"
    http://www.twitter.com/djkvg http://www.soundcloud.com/kvg-1

but srsly i'm always trying to get better at double-time chirps. i need to work on faster stabs as well.
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON

workin on trying to get some scratch choruses poppin on some tracks im making

Double timed chirps are always a pleasure to listen to. Especially if you can change the pitch of the sound when chirping

Quote Originally Posted by funkyfresh View Post
    Double timed chirps are always a pleasure to listen to. Especially if you can change the pitch of the sound when chirping
    can't get enough of that sound. so awesome.
    PATREON

I was most recently working on two click lazers and autobahns but like Sigma have lost the drive to practice. It takes a ton of effort to see even the tiniest bit of improvement now and I just don't find practicing all that interesting any more.
    DJForums.com Scratch Collab -- https://youtu.be/jWRgahB0MGA

Quote Originally Posted by dj symptoms View Post
    I was most recently working on two click lazers and autobahns but like Sigma have lost the drive to practice. It takes a ton of effort to see even the tiniest bit of improvement now and I just don't find practicing all that interesting any more.
    go get more shows then
    PATREON

I'm working on minimizing record hand movements.

Stabs, stabs and stabs. I want to be able to hit 16th note stabs clean at 130bpm. I can get to about 120 bpm and then my cuts turn to slop and my forearm hurts. Class action lawsuit against Qbert for everyone’s carpel tunnel syndrome , who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Nies One View Post
    Stabs, stabs and stabs. I want to be able to hit 16th note stabs clean at 130bpm. I can get to about 120 bpm and then my cuts turn to slop and my forearm hurts. Class action lawsuit against Qbert for everyone’s carpel tunnel syndrome , who's with me?
    Practice doing them in different intervals so you don't build muscle memory that prevents you from keeping them going... that's when your forearm starts to tense up which makes it hurt. I made that mistake with double bass blasts on the drums. Practice doing them slower and getting them precise at a slow pace, then focus on keeping your whole arm really relaxed because as soon as your muscles tense up you lose control of them and fall off beat. You might have to practice it for a while at a really slow and boring pace to keep your arms relaxed. Once you've got the hang of keeping your arms loose and cutting precisely at a slow pace, you work your way up and it all just kinda falls into place. I used to be able to stab around 140bpm before I fell off but I don't know if I got those chops anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bike View Post
    go get more shows then
    I got a bunch of shows! ...as a drummer. There's no market for scratch DJs unless you're a legendary scratch DJ like Q-bert or Rob Swift. People are stoked on my scratching when I spin live, but I have to play hours of music I'm really not interested in and only get to fit a few scratches in here and there. Even turntablists should know that most audiences do not want to listen to you scratch for hours. There's no point in practicing hours and hours to sharpen the skills that I never get to use, when I can be practicing drumming that pays significantly better these days. :/
    DJForums.com Scratch Collab -- https://youtu.be/jWRgahB0MGA